Hall Effect Sensor not working long distances

Hi guys, i just finished my arduino homing sensor with stepper motor using the guides on youtube. When I was prototyping everything was fine until I tried running my hall effect sensor 210 inches each wire for ground wire, 5v, and the signal.

My hall effect sensor would always input 0 which is low on my arduino even though the magnet still doesn’t come in close proximity with the sensor, while using the long 210 inches wire.

The fix I did was just shorten the wire to 36 inches.

Anyone know whats the cause of this? Or is there any way I can make it work with the 210 inches wire. I even put a dedicated 5v 4A power supply for the sensor and it didn’t even work. I thought that with a stronger power supply the sensor can send signals over long distances but it failed, any advice I appreciate it very much, I am new in arduino thank you!

Resistance of the wire that reduces the voltage at a guess

Have you heard of Ohms law ?

1 Like

Add stabilizing caps to the sensor power pins.

1 Like

Hi,
Do you have a DMM?

Tom... :grinning: :+1: :australia:

1 Like

Thanks for your suggestion, so that means can I power the sensor using 12v power supply as long as when I test it on the sensor side it outputs 5v? Thank you! Its just weird that when I wire alternating current outlets 220v it doesn’t drop to around 200v even in slightly long runs.

Thank you, I will check it later, it took me two days to figure out the problem was in the length of wire.

Please give details of the hardware "hall effect sensor" is very vague - which sensor? Where is its datasheet?

One reason for long cables being an issue is noise pickup (cable not shielded or twisted for instance), or lack of decoupling at the sensor (if its not on a breakout board this could be an issue).

What is the wire gauge? Are the cable cores twisted? How much current can the HES safely sink (or source)?

Without concrete details of the sensor or cable its impossible to judge.

Datasheet for the sensor, type of cable please.

One possibility already mentioned is lack of decoupling, but without information on the sensor its just a blind guess. Decoupling has to be right next to the chip and is seldom optional.

Also you should double-check the wiring - mis-connection would be another common reason for problems.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.