Hall effect sensors and detection ranges.

NULL and VOID forget i ever asked

yea it's true
just keep in mind you need a linear hall eff sen
and also consider that the max resolution of the arduino is 5mV so detecting a small magnet at around 20cm can be impossible
also keep in mind that linear hall eff sens can transpose the max frequency of the audible range (20khz) and not beyond

Well it would disagree with the last poster, you can't detect an electromagnetic pulse with a hall effect sensor. If you do want to detect one I would use a large coil.

it’s the same
but with just an hall eff sen you don’t need an application circuit like with a large coil

also if you need to amplify the signal it’s much simpler to do it if you use an hall eff sen

it also depends on what EMP means in this case

I might tend to beleve you more if you could spell hall effect sensor. But you can't and I don't.

sorry for both my mistakes
EMP seem to be "radio signals" so an hall effect sensor won't fit :slight_smile:

in this case i suggest a logarithmic antenna connected to a wideband amplifier (like a MAV11) connected to some sort of circuit that "detects" connected to an arduino or a system that can log signals
instead of a logarithmic antenna you can use a diy asterisk shaped antenna with several rods that have different lenght like from 2.5cm to 20cm

developing a circuit that "detects" can be tricky, especially because it's not a tuned circuit
i've no idea right now about how much big can be a signal that goes out of a mav11, maybe you can use just a rectifier with BAT46

edit:
you need germanium dieodes like the AA118 and a very small capacitor like a 1nF one
if you want to detect short duration signals

in this case i suggest a logarithmic antenna

No.

This is a classic X-Y problem

Rustie0125:
Thank you for the reply guys
what would the best solution be then to detect a short burst EMP from a generating coil over x distance?

Did you not read that link?

You need to be more specific about what you are trying to do rather than what you think is the solution to what you are trying to do.

At the very least you need to put in figures,
How big is the pulse? What is producing it? What distance is X?

On the face of it, in the end, this is a radio transmission problem and transmitting an electromagnetic pulse ( spark transmitter ) is illegal in all countries of the world.

Grumpy_Mike:
No.

you're right, an asterisk shaped one is the best

Grumpy_Mike:
This is a classic X-Y problem

i agree

hey :slight_smile: my first multiquote