Hall effect sensors for servos? Good idea?

Is it a good idea to use a hall effect sensor to measure the current going through a servo? I'm building a robotic arm that needs to know when to stop moving because current is getting to high due to an obstruction getting in the way such as a wall, otherwise it's current will just increase until the servo is ruined.

Yes.

That might work but I'd check a couple of things first...

Measure the current with your miltimeter first. There might not be much difference between full-load current and stall current.

And check the specs. It might be OK to stall it indefinitely.

Your right, some of the servos do not have much of an amp difference. I'm starting to think a proximity sensor might be the way to go.

You will not get the sensitivity from a Hall effect sensor. Just use a resistor and measure the voltage across it.

What ohm rating would you choose for the resistor? It would be used for a standards size servo of 6v. Would it interfere at all with the servo getting the necessary current?

Thanks in advance

You can make limit switches to put at the ends of travel for the servo and put them on interrupts. They can be located down at or near the hub

The current detector is great for if the arm gets blocked or jammed.

kolleamm:
What ohm rating would you choose for the resistor? It would be used for a standards size servo of 6v. Would it interfere at all with the servo getting the necessary current?

Use ohms law to find out what will give you about 4V on the stall current. It will affect the motor slightly but not enough for it to matter.

You could use feedback like these adafruit servos.