Halt DC Motor for extended period of time

Hey there,

I’m helping build a portable solar station for my end of year project. Everything is done, the only thing I have left to do is to add some halting feature that will stop the motor from running for an hour, then will start it again for a second, then stop again for an hour. The motor i meant to drive the solar panel to track the sun. I realize a different motor would have been much better to use like a stepper or a servo, but I have to work with what I have. So far my code has start, stop, direction ( drive the motor in FWD and REV) and jog functionality, and the motorspeed is controlled by a 100k potentiometer.

Heres the code so far:

Week_7.ino (5.03 KB)

An Arduino is not very good at time keeping (compared to a clock) but I suspect you don't need precise timing for your project. Something that is approximately an hour should be OK i.e. 1000 * 60 * 60 millisecs

Have a look at how millis() is used to manage timing without blocking in Several Things at a Time.

And see Using millis() for timing. A beginners guide if you need more explanation.

Your program is very difficult to read. Pleas use the AutoFormat tool to indent it consistently so the different blocks of code are easily seen. It would also be a good idea to move a lot of the code from loop() into short single-purpose functions such as checkUserButtons(), moveMotorFwd(), moveMotorRev() etc. It will make the control logic easier to see. Have a look at how the code is organized in Planning and Implementing a Program

...R

I've decided to shorten the delay considerably for presentation purposes. The motor should spin for one second, then delay for fifteen seconds. This will be done 6 times so that the motor travels abut 96 degrees ( which is how much we'd like it to spin)

trussell97:
I've decided to shorten the delay considerably for presentation purposes.

Almost all that I said in Reply #1 remains relevant

...R

If this is related to your other thread, and it seems like it is, contact a moderator about merging the two. Cross posting is frowned upon.