Hangman Arduino

Hey guys. for my arduino project i want to make a kind of hang man thing using the serial monitor. Im fairly new, so is this possible, and if so how can i do this?

I assume you are referring to the game where parts of the image are added for every wrong answer.

I can't think how you could construct the image on the Serial Monitor.
It may be possible to do it on a "better" terminal program such as puTTY which can (I think) take codes to position characters

Some sort of graphical program on the PC would be easier - but then why use an Arduino.

...R

Hi, for the Arduino to play hangman, it would need a large dictionary of words. Arduino do not have much memory to store this, so you would need to add external memory like an sd card. This is no longer a beginner's project.

It would be better to think of another game. Perhaps noughts & crosses ("tic tac toe")? Or some other logic/numbers game where the Arduino can use its ability to work at high speed with numbers to give you a challenge?

Paul

PaulRB:
Hi, for the Arduino to play hangman, it would need a large dictionary of words. Arduino do not have much memory to store this, so you would need to add external memory like an sd card. This is no longer a beginner's project.

It would be better to think of another game. Perhaps noughts & crosses ("tic tac toe")? Or some other logic/numbers game where the Arduino can use its ability to work at high speed with numbers to give you a challenge?

The challange for a hangman game could also be based on math.

For example: The Arduino generates maths problems using the random number generator: Adding, subtracting, multiplying or dividing. The user is prompted the maths problem on the Serial monitor and can enter his input. And if the answer is wrong, the Arduino adds a line to his ASCII-art drawing until finished.

void setup() {                
  Serial.begin(9600);
  Serial.println();
  Serial.println(" _________   ");
  Serial.println("|         |  ");
  Serial.println("|         0  ");
  Serial.println("|        /|\\");
  Serial.println("|        / \\");
  Serial.println("|            ");
  Serial.println("|            ");
  Serial.println();
}

To make it more challanging, the math problems created could increase in digits/difficulty or the time limit for giving the correct answer might decrease during the game.

20 words would be enough. How many times are people going to re-play the game? Plenty of memory available for that.

I like Jurs' idea for drawing the hangman. Maybe add a line at the bottom which is drawn one "-" at a time, so you can see when you're nearing the end.