Hapless Newbie

I'm a complete and utter newbie, so please be kind. :~

And so my question:

What equipment should I buy for a total beginner? What I mean is, that I don't want to spend a lot of money at first until I see if I can actually handle the projects or for that matter, even 'understand' how Arudino works.

Any help would be appreciated.

You can start with the SparkFun Inventor's Kit for Arduino. Note that they have made a mistake in the manual. I have notified them about it: http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,107117.0.html.

P.S. I responded in 5 minutes 49 seconds! A new record [for me]!

Thanks for the info, dkl65. I have one more question: Do I have to download any software after I get the kit?
Or maybe I should ask what the software is used for? :~

When I started out, I bought a arduino, and some leds, After I saw what it could I started to buy more stuff, that was project related.

as for software, to program the arduino, you can download the arduino ide from the site. http://arduino.cc/en/Main/Software

it's free software don't have to pay for it :) start out with something easy, and try to take little steps at a time. it's fun i promise you :)

I hope i could be of any help :)

Greetings, Duality

try www.jeremyblum.com/category/arduino-tutorials/

watch the tutorials.

If you don't have an arduino yet this will make you get one.

JRazz ... You will not go wrong with the Arduino. Even if you have never played with electronics or programming before in your life you will have a sample circuit up and running in 10 mins. The Arduino software is very easy to use and the coding for it is very much human readable.

I tryed the Pic chips(microchip) last month and after weeks of scratching my head and getting frustrated and of course getting no where fast, i found Arduino Uno.

Thank you all for the helpful replies. I want to say that I exaggerated a bit saying I was hapless, :). I 'do' have some knowledge of Qbasic and so I'm assuming I'll be able to run the beginner projects ok. OTOH, I'm 'sure' I'll be asking for help aplenty when I get into deeper waters. :~