Hardware Q: Need a panel jack/plug set, 4 conductors, difficulty: 6.5 mm hole

An enclosure I'm repurposing for a project has two 6.5mm round holes in its rear panel. I'm looking for some kind of panel-mount jack, with a corresponding plug, so I can connect the interior Arduino-based guts of the project with a couple of external devices.

The existing holes are fairly close together. I could probably drill them out to about 8mm but not much further.

The enclosure happens to be perfect in every other way. Solid, brushed aluminum surfaces, existing connectors for power and network, so I'm looking hard for a connector style that will just work with those two holes. "Find another enclosure" is a solution I'm hoping to sidestep. :)

Most of what I've seen are either 2 or 3 connector solutions (e.g. plain old 3.5 mm audio jacks), or the 4th conductor is a ground and contacts the outer part of the jack and therefore the enclosure body. Other obvious choices like MIDI or S-video style connectors are just too big.

Can someone recommend a connector style that fits this size hole?

One of the connectors will supply power and control to a servo that runs at 7.4 V and has a stall current of about 6 A, so it needs to be sufficiently robust to handle that load, worst case.

Thank you.

You have not told us exactly how many wires are comming in and going out ?

If the 2 holes are too small, why not drill or cut inbetween them and make them one larger hole that will take a greater variety of suitable connectors ?

Interesting, there are many 3.5mm 4-way, but i couldn't see any 6.5 Perhaps a filler plate to use 3.5 plug & socket?

ricky101: You have not told us exactly how many wires are comming in and going out ?

If the 2 holes are too small, why not drill or cut inbetween them and make them one larger hole that will take a greater variety of suitable connectors ?

Two separate cables, one 3-conductor and one 4-conductor, going in different directions. One or both may be in use at any given time. Using a single large connector wouldn't really be a good solution.

lastchancename: Interesting, there are many 3.5mm 4-way, but i couldn't see any 6.5 Perhaps a filler plate to use 3.5 plug & socket?

Hold up ... :-) ... the hole in the panel is 6.5mm, a jack that would take a 3.5mm plug would be larger than 3.5mm and would likely fit.

Can you point me at a 3.5 mm audio-style 4-conductor plug + jack that DOESN'T make electrical contact with the case? That would likely work.

The problem with the 3.5mm 4-conductor connectors I have seen is that one of the 4 conductors is a ground that is continuous with the external part of the panel mount jack, which contacts the conductive enclosure. That would be a problem.

To clarify -

This panel mount 3.5mm jack and plug would be OK (if a little ugly/unfinished on the exposed side), except the jack's body is .315" (8mm) which doesn't fit in the 6.5mm hole.

http://www.jameco.com/z/PJ31640-3-5mm-4-Conductor-TRRS-Panel-Mount-Phone-Jack_2201607.html

http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10001_10001_2200954_-1

I'm looking for something like this that will fit in a 6.5mm hold in a panel.

Most 3.5mm 4-conductor jacks are more like this one:

http://www.cui.com/product/discontinued/components/connectors/audio/4-conductor-jacks/4-conductor--3.5-mm-panel-mount-audio-jack/sj-43502pm where the 4th conductor is a ground in electrical contact with panel itself.

That's true. Virtually all ring-tip-sleeve style of connector use the sleeve as the shield. The idea being that you often hold the sleeve with your hand, so it's not likely you want to float the shield.

Perhaps a five way RTS - they are available, but will be harder to find in single quantities.

If this is your own project, what about converting the interfaces to serial, or a resistor ladder?