hardware requirements for huge led panel

I want to make a 12 feet * 2 feet color led scrolling panel what components should I get? I have attached image of example panel.

71KXnhzia+L.SX425.jpg

Hi,
Welcome to the forum.

Please read the first post in any forum entitled how to use this forum.
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php/topic,148850.0.html.
OPs pic;
e12b12882784bba525f34820471bcb1e25f94bb7.jpg

Can you please tell us your electronics, programming, Arduino, hardware experience?

Thanks… Tom… :slight_smile:

Personally, I wouldn’t try something like that. It looks like a nightmare and it looks very expensive to build “at home”.

You can individually address-control an almost “unlimited” number of LEDs with [u]shift-register addressing[/u] and it only requires 3 I/O pins. There are special-purpose LED driver shift registers. For example, I have a project that uses 6 [u]MAX6968[/u] chips to drive/control 48 LEDs.

Another (better?) option is [u]NeoPixels[/u]. NeoPixels are individually-addressable RGB LEDs with a built-in driver. You can get NeoPixel LEd strips (which are NOT a nightmare to wire-up) but the ones I’ve seen are spaced too far apart for what you’re trying to do.

If you can’t use LED strips you’ll need to have PC boards made. I recommend that you modularize. For example, build 10x10 LED arrays (with drivers) on circuit boards and assemble them together for your larger array/matrix. That will make designing and building easier and if something fails you can just replace a board. And if you use serial addressing, it’s probably a good idea to come-up with a different addressing scheme for each board, so each board can have it’s own data-string.

Of course, you’ll need a “big” power supply to supply the “worst-case” current when all of the LEDs are on.

Start small! Start by addressing/controlling a handful of LEDs. Then build one 10x10 board (or whatever you decide). When that’s debugged you can build more and assemble them all together.

Imagine drilling all those holes and then wiring the LEd's

I count 32 rows so there would be 192 columns: 6144 RGB or RGBW LEDs.

At 16 LEDs to the foot the pitch (distance between LEDs) is 19.05mm or 52.5 LEDs per meter. A very common pitch for inexpensive addressable LED strip is 60 LEDs per meter (16.66mm pitch) so you should probably go for the higher resolution.

2' x 12' is roughly 610mm x 3660mm so if you want that size sign you would use 36 or 37 rows of 219 or 220 columns (between 7884 and 8140 LEDs). NOTE: Some strips can only be cut every 3rd LED so the number of columns (or rows if you lay out the strip vertically) might have to be a multiple of three.

7884 and 8140 LEDs would be 131.4 to 135.66 meters of lights, respectively. They are usually sold in 5-meter reels so 27 or 28 reels. You can probably get each reel of LEDs for under $20 so figure under $600 for the LED strip.

You could use these 6.3" square 16x16 panels:
https://www.amazon.com/CHINLY-Flexible-Programmed-Individually-addressable/dp/B07417BRFN

Unfortunately they are twice the resolution and, therefore, four times the number of pixels. For 2x12 sign you would need four rows of 24 columns for 96 panels. Multiply by the $32.88 each and get $3156.48 just for the panels. At 0.3W/pixel that's over 7000 Watts. At 5V that's about 1500 Amps!

The following is one example of an RGB matrix for building video walls. They chain together to build large displays.

32x32 LED matrix, 7.5 inch x 7.5 inch.

For 144 inch by 24 inch display, that will be 19 x 3 matrices @ $36 each = $2052

These matrices have a HUB75 interface (not ws2812 and not apa102) but Adafrut has tutorials, interface boards, and libraries. Requires a fast CPU with lots of RAM such as SAMD51, Teensy 3, or raspberry pi. Since the display requires 57 matrices, my guess is use a raspberry pi 3+.

I have never built such a large display so do your own research before buying.