I want one Arduino to send serial data to another Arduino.
- Is this possible while both are powered by the USB cable from the PC?
- Can the PC upload the sketches while the serial ports of the two Arduinos are connected to each other?
- If one Arduino is busy while the other is sending serial data to it. How much can the buffer hold?
I'm not sure but I think:
- Yes as long as there is no serial communication with the PC
- No unless you have an Arduino Mega and use the additional Serial IO's (e.g. Serial1) for communicate between Arduinos
- The buffer is 64 chars on Arduino Mega, not sure for other Arduinos.
I think in your case if you don't have a Mega then you should try SoftSerial.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong
you can connect the two arduinos with software serial and keep the usb connections to both. I have done this. run two instances of the IDE and verify that the serial ports for each arduino is correct in tools>>serial port. you can open the serial monitor in each IDE and use them for troubleshooting