Hardwire location for external battery source

I have an Arduino Duemilanove screwed into the top of a power pack which supplies 5v of output. (It's one of those packs for charging cell phones on the go)
Recently I've found out that the USB port is REALLY picky, as I have tried to hard-wire the positive and negative directly to the back of the USB port's leads accordingly.
It works fine as a power source when disconnected from the PC, but when plugging the USB cable to the computer for uploading programs and the like, it causes driver problems, compatibility issues, etc... I figure it has something to do with the pack pulling current incorrectly from the FTDI chips (or something like that).

Anyhow, I'm curious if there is a good location to solder the positive and negative wires from the pack to the board for 5V.

Thanks!

I would disconnect from power pack while connected to PC via USB. The higher voltage of the pack can make it back to the PC and cause issues - on my Lenovo laptop, the port sees it as power surge and shuts down the port on me.

That's actually not the issue I was talking about CrossRoads. I'm not leaving the power pack on while I have it connected. It's turned off but I'm thinking the negative on the pack still pulls current even if it's not on.

However, your reply doesn't answer my question as I'm not willing to disconnect the wires every time I connect it to the PC. I was hoping there was a solution to allow it to keep it connected. Thanks though.

Hi,

Have you connected the wires to the Arduino from the battery pack properly and cleanly?

I have an Arduino Duemilanove screwed into the top of a power pack which supplies 5v of output. (It's one of those packs for charging cell phones on the go)

Screwed? ? ? ?
Picture please. . . .

Thanks.. Tom... :slight_smile:

Can you add a power switch, breaking the positive connection with the battery? You can get some pretty small switches, slide type, rocker, toggle, etc.

@Crossroads I could add a switch like you suggest but I was hoping there would be a better solution.

@Tom
They are fairly cleanly soldered to the same spots the USB connections supply power to.

Here's a photo of the full setup I'm currently working on. A drone! Hopefully this photo explains it as I don't have a better one at the moment.