Has anyone been able to use an FTDI VDRIVE2 ?

Found here: [u]http://www.cutedigi.com/product_info.php?cPath=305&products_id=4354&osCsid=004fbfd832bec224d42bbecb1816dfd5[/u]

It says, easily add USB Flash Drive interface to 8 bit MCU.

I went ahead and bought one, and have tried working with it, with some luck. I followed the procedure found on arduino's pllayground, [u]http://www.arduino.cc/playground/Main/UsbMemory[/u] "Writing data to Usb Memory Stick, The ftdi viniculum chip will write to usb memory"

However, I think the procedure is quite outdated. The sketch downloads to an arduino alright, but it didn't do much for the FTDI VDRIVE2.

I'm just wondering if anybody else has tried working with FTDI VDRIVE2. If so, did you arive at a method that works?

I don't want to ruin any more storage devices, which cost over $25.00 [smiley=sad.gif] :-[

I wrote a small test skecth for a VDRIVE2 not so long ago and had no real issues gettting it to do what I wanted. That is read/write/create and delete files on USB flash drives. It will only support FAT so it may not be ready for your new Tera byte drive yet, but apart form that it pretty much works as advertized and my plan is to use it in an upcoming project.

Writing a generic library may not be practical as it supports such a large command set. Application specific file management support however is within a reasonable scope for an Arduino project. The command set offered by VDRIVE2 will generally do what it’s told rather that what you ought to do. That is sequence of commands is important towards maintaining file system integrity - so be prepared to spend time studying the manual.

The VDRIVE2 uses 3V3 logic and 5V power. The device however is logic 5V tolerant (as per manufacturer) and for me it worked well with a 5V Duemillanove.

I used the SPI (4 wire) interface rather than serial. Although SPI is much faster there is no real speed advantage using SPI compared to serial for the VDRIVE2. This frees up hardware serial however for other tasks and makes debugging a lot easier. The SPI interface is somewhat odd (8 bits plus status bit for reads) so I shift data in/out and pulse the clock in software rather than using the AtMega SPI hardware. Software serial relies on precise timing and I think it should be avoided if at all possible. On a Mega with multiple USART’s however you would have a real choice.

That is read/write/create and delete files on USB flash drives.

when you say read and write, does this mean the Vdrive2 can do file transfer (.txt, .exe, .jpg, .doc)? Or just a simple read and write of bytes?

I’m planning to interface it with a uC with bluetooth module to transfer the contents of the USB flash drive via Bluetooth(uart mode, bluetooth ACTS just like a serial connection). Is that hardware-possible?

In terms of software possibility, what’s the level of difficulty.