Has anyone else seen this post & comments?

http://hackaday.com/2011/02/11/how-the-arduino-won-this-is-how-we-can-kill-it/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+hackaday%2FLgoM+%28Hack+a+Day%29

Loves it!

The fan boys are out in force!

I just bet none of them are old enough to remember hand assembled code! (which I still do!)

It's the same argument I got 20 years ago when I was programming on my Mac + and all my friends could only afford a cheap PC clone!

The "guru's" want to be "needed".

AS has been pointed out a few times here, I am a masochist that likes to build things out of 7400 chips, Like my "life" engine, 30 years ago being able to do 25 generations a second (frame rate) was a huge deal.

I look at Arduino as programmable hardware, which is what PIC's, Propellers and ATMEL hardware really is. If you want some serious "grunt" you use a non-Harvard architecture chip.

What happened to "the right tool, for the right job"?

Where's my sledgehammer, I gotta drive some tacks into a piece of balsa... :-)

I think retrolefty put up a link to it earlier. I have drawers full of 7400 chips too - have been using 7406's for LED drivers and 74F374 as shift registers :-)

I don't see the problem...

Yeah, an arduino is overkill for many of the things it is used for, but it was very easy for the builder to do it like that, why is that a problem?

I am going to make a pwm light controller for my parents, it will have 3 presets and 3 pots to make custom colors... there might be other was to do it, but I will take an arduino nano and put in a little box along with some TIP120... Why? Because it will be so easy for me to write some code for it, connect everything, and then have a working thing.

As I see it, arduino can't be killed through education, because when people try them, and notice it is a lot easier, they will stick with arduino anyways. Only way to make them stop using it, is to keep them isolated somehow, and never let them know that there are an easier way to do it...

I have made rgb random fading leds, blinking leds in different intervals while fading one, and so on... How much electronics did I have to learn? Calculate the resistor between the pin and led... And I am quite happy about not having to learn much more than that.

With that said, I must say that I also do some things different ways that the easiest, or already known way to do it. Just because I think it would be fun to do it another way, and that is the only time I would ditch an arduino, and try maybe an 555 instead...

I'm amazed at the comments on Hack A Day! Ok, some people do do projects that look like "rat's nests", but I'll bet my left one those same people do more experimentation and builds than the wankers hating on Arduino.

I think of those projects like Meccano, Lego or Fischer-Technic, they are having fun, doing shit and good on them!

I used to hate all C even more for C++ and OOP. What are they doing? I can do the "same" with 2KB of 386 assembly where they waste hundreds of kilobytes for the same outcome! But I was only 18! As I am much older now, logic makes more sense to me than some dark magic and tricks I used in assembly, software or hardware alike. Codes are hard to reuse and to reuse you waste lines to make them into libraries and eventually assembly looks like C, just more awkward. With a lot of sweat and swearing, I was able to write over 2,000 lines of 386 code in my teens, not too bad with three books that contradicted with on another and no protected-mode debuggers. Rebooting was more frequent than making comments. But now I can do more complicated programs with more lines with much ease, thanks to OOP. Thanks to arduino, I don't have to reopen assembly books or memorize which register is set by what operation and range of long and short relative jumps or remember to pop my stacks when returning and push my CX before I try to use it for rep movsd. Most things are taken care of by the arduino environment and I live on the logic level, not excited to know every little hardware detail or utilize it just because it exists, such as differential analog inputs on the chip or 555 circuits. If I use the "right tool for right job" argument on us, we should kill ourselves as we can't use our brain as much as Einstein did and we're not doing our jobs as we might only use 20% of our brains, although when fully utilized at 100% efficiency we are the right tool for our job.

I will never push for right tool for right job again, maybe only 50% right tool for right job. If you're 50% of your full scale, you're most accurate ;)

I always found Hack a Day much stronger on attitude than actual technical content. They like to big up rubbish and are constantly reinventing the wheel that we invented 30 years ago. So let then rant, it will do no good.

Grumpy_Mike: I always found Hack a Day much stronger on attitude than actual technical content. They like to big up rubbish and are constantly reinventing the wheel that we invented 30 years ago. So let then rant, it will do no good.

Hackaday is ok. They post some interesting stuff every now and then. It's the posters that make it look like a meeting of the whiny fanboy club and amalgamated ignorance federation.

There is an element in most forums who are not happy unless they are rubbishing something. But if you think HAD is bad.. Don't go near Slashdot.

Reminds me of my ham radio days, back in the 60s, when some of the oldpharts would deride anyone who hadn't built his (and it was about 99% "his" back then) own rig from scratch as an "appliance operator".

It's nothing new: I'm sure there were Roman drill sergeants who told their recruits "When I was your age, we didn't have any of this sissy metal armor nonsense..." :D