Have I erased the bootloader

Hi,

My Yun nolonger shows up in the device manager with a portnumber. I have tried all the reset options I can connect via LAN and putty If I use the IP adress that shows in the tools port menu and try to upload, I get the error below.

So my question is: Is the only solution to burn a new bootloader using the ISCP connector?

(and ofcource , how could this happen ?)

Sketch uses 5.132 bytes (17%) of program storage space. Maximum is 28.672 bytes.
Global variables use 153 bytes (5%) of dynamic memory, leaving 2.407 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2.560 bytes.

avrdude: Version 5.11svn, compiled on Aug  9 2013 at 08:41:40
         Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
         Copyright (c) 2007-2009 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "/etc/avrdude.conf"
         User configuration file is "/root/.avrduderc"
         User configuration file does not exist or is not a regular file, skipping

Using Port                    : unknown
         Using Programmer              : linuxgpio
         AVR Part                      : ATmega32U4
         Chip Erase delay              : 9000 us
         PAGEL                         : PD7
         BS2                           : PA0
         RESET disposition             : dedicated
         RETRY pulse                   : SCK
         serial program mode           : yes
         parallel program mode         : yes
         Timeout                       : 200
         StabDelay                     : 100
         CmdexeDelay                   : 25
         SyncLoops                     : 32
         ByteDelay                     : 0
         PollIndex                     : 3
         PollValue                     : 0x53
         Memory Detail                 :

Block Poll               Page                       Polled
           Memory Type Mode Delay Size  Indx Paged  Size   Size #Pages MinW  MaxW   ReadBack
           ----------- ---- ----- ----- ---- ------ ------ ---- ------ ----- ----- ---------
           eeprom        65    10     8    0 no       1024    8      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
           Memory Type Mode Delay Size  Indx Paged  Size   Size #Pages MinW  MaxW   ReadBack
           ----------- ---- ----- ----- ---- ------ ------ ---- ------ ----- ----- ---------
           flash         65     6   128    0 yes     32768  128    256  4500  4500 0x00 0x00
           lfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
           hfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
           efuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
           lock           0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
           calibration    0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0     0     0 0x00 0x00
           signature      0     0     0    0 no          3    0      0     0     0 0x00 0x00

Programmer Type : linuxgpio
         Description     : Use the Linux sysfs interface to bitbang GPIO lines

avrdude: Calibrating delay loop... calibrated to 43 cycles per us
avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.01s

avrdude: Device signature = 0x1e9587
avrdude: NOTE: "flash" memory has been specified, an erase cycle will be performed
         To disable this feature, specify the -D option.
avrdude: erasing chip
avrdude: Calibrating delay loop... calibrated to 49 cycles per us
avrdude: reading input file "0xFF"
avrdude: writing lfuse (1 bytes):

Writing | ################################################## | 100% 0.00s

avrdude: 1 bytes of lfuse written
avrdude: verifying lfuse memory against 0xFF:
avrdude: load data lfuse data from input file 0xFF:
avrdude: input file 0xFF contains 1 bytes
avrdude: reading on-chip lfuse data:

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.00s

avrdude: verifying ...
avrdude: 1 bytes of lfuse verified
avrdude: reading input file "0xD8"
avrdude: writing hfuse (1 bytes):

Writing | ################################################## | 100% 0.00s

avrdude: 1 bytes of hfuse written
avrdude: verifying hfuse memory against 0xD8:
avrdude: load data hfuse data from input file 0xD8:
avrdude: input file 0xD8 contains 1 bytes
avrdude: reading on-chip hfuse data:

avrdude: 1 bytes of hfuse verified
avrdude: reading input file "0xFB"
avrdude: writing efuse (1 bytes):

Writing |  ***failed;  
################################################## | 100% 0.06s

avrdude: 1 bytes of efuse written
avrdude: verifying efuse memory against 0xFB:
avrdude: load data efuse data from input file 0xFB:
avrdude: input file 0xFB contains 1 bytes
avrdude: reading on-chip efuse data:

avrdude: verification error, first mismatch at byte 0x0000
         0xcb != 0xfb
avrdude: verification error; content mismatch

avrdude done.  Thank you.

Ok, I just burned the bootloader and evrything is back to normal. But I can't understand what happened.

Now I am confused.

With my newly burned bootloader I was able to upload the blink sketch to the Yun.

Next I tried to upload via LAN, and then I got the same error as above, and the bootloader got erased !

So what to do?

I'm sorry to say that you need to patch a file on the linino side Access the yun via SSH and edit file /usr/bin/run-avrdude. Change the efuse value from FB to CB and retry

For the record: problem came from a bug in the IDE boards.txt. extended fuse for the yun (when flashing the bootloader) is set to CB instead of FB. Problem is: once you set some of those bits to 0 you cannot set them back to 1. So you can keep on writing FB and always get back CB

Sorry again, we'll fix the problem in the next release.

thanks Federico

As long as i know what went wrong everything is fine with me.
I just made the change and everything is working

Great news, thanks! Just remember to re apply the change if you'd ever reset the yun to its factory settings

[quote author=Federico Fissore link=topic=189570.msg1402709#msg1402709 date=1379971103] For the record: problem came from a bug in the IDE boards.txt. extended fuse for the yun (when flashing the bootloader) is set to CB instead of FB. Problem is: once you set some of those bits to 0 you cannot set them back to 1. So you can keep on writing FB and always get back CB

Sorry again, we'll fix the problem in the next release. [/quote]

This is still a problem as of March 2014 with updated Linino and Arduino 1.5.6-rc2

I almost abandoned two Yun boards because I was bit by this small but deadly bug!! :(