Have two pins from an FPGA, need to attach two microcontrollers.

Unfortunately, I have only two connections to the FPGA, more cannot be added.

Two microcontrollers must connect to the FGPA. One will be handling a steady stream of ~1.5mbit of traffic from the FPGA and the other will act as an interface to an infrared remote as well as an i/o expander (very low speed, configuration type stuff). Combining them is not an option.

I've used arduinos for other projects before and would like to continue doing so. Are there any arduino-capable chips that can run i2c at higher datarates such as the 3.4Mbit fast mode?

Thanks, cirthix

A very simple search in doc8271.pdf says no. Maximal speed is 400kHz. You should have that document in hand if you want to find the answer yourself.

If you only have 2 lines, how will you run I2C (clock & data), and a third line?

CrossRoads: If you only have 2 lines, how will you run I2C (clock & data), and a third line?

There is no third line. That's why I2C looks like the right choice.

Ah, so you are connecting I2C to both then, and running the I2C at different speeds?

CrossRoads: Ah, so you are connecting I2C to both then, and running the I2C at different speeds?

Connecting the same i2c to all three devices (fpga, config microcontroller, array microcontroller).

I suppose clock-stretching could be used on the config controller because it will be relatively unused, (tens of bits/second vrs 1.5Mbit), but it would make the fpga side more complicated.