Having to upload many times 16x2 LCD

I started using an 16x2 LCD today. But the problem is i sometimes i have to upload the code many times. Why i have to do this is because i get wierd symbols in the display on some uploads.

For example, one time i might try to display "Hello" and would get "QD4" or something like that. So i upload a few more times and after some attempts it works.

Anyone know what it could be?

Im pretty sure i wired it correctly, and it is working "most of the time"

If i upload this code to my arduino:

#Include <LiquidCrystal.h>
LiquidCrystal lcd(12, 11, 5, 4, 3, 2);

void Setup() {
   delay(1000); // Added delay to make sure lcd is powered
   lcd.begin(16, 2);
   lcd.print("Hello World");
}
void Loop() {
}

Sometimes i will get “Hello World” on the screen.
Other times ill get strange signs.

And i dont even have to reupload for this to happen.
If i just press the “reset button” on the arduino.
It will flip between “Hello World” and “Strange Signs” (always the same strange signs)

Sometimes it might be “Hello World” a few times in a row when resetting.
And sometimes the signs.

Im stumped :confused:

This is the same types of signs i get at 3.10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPbAMAaStxY

Ok, now you have this connected to a relay, don’t you? :astonished:

That was the critical detail. Common problem.

Connect a 47 or 100 µF capacitor between pins 1 and 2 of the LCD.

Not sure what a relay is :P

Really i need a capacitor? How come its not used here: https://www.arduino.cc/en/uploads/Tutorial/LCD_Base_bb_Schem.png

How come its not used here:

Because there is no inductive load such as a relay or a motor or a pump in that circuit.

The code in your original post most likely works all the time since there is no pump involved.

I didn’t see any evidence of the words “Hello World” in your video which obviously uses different code as well as additional hardware – something you neglected to mention.

Don

Oh i dont use a pump or anything like that. I just used the video to show what symbols i got.

Was not my video, so its abit misleading. Sorry.

Im just doing the Hello World text.

Let's start again. We need to see:

• A photograph of your actual setup.
  • A copy/paste version of the code that you are actually using.
  • A photograph of the characters that are actually being displayed by the above mentioned hardware and software.

Don

A photograph of your actual setup. A copy/paste version of the code that you are actually using. A photograph of the characters that are actually being displayed by the above mentioned hardware and software.

Ok here we go, this is the schema im using: |500x443

This is the setup: |500x332 |500x332 |500x332

These two pictures are using the exact same code! The only diffrence is i pressed reset. So the reset or reupload will toggle between these states. |500x332 |500x332

Oh and here is the code:

#include <LiquidCrystal.h>
LiquidCrystal lcd(12, 11, 5, 4, 3, 2);

void setup() {
  lcd.begin(16, 2);
  lcd.print("Hello World!");
}

Hmmm.

This is the classic "nibble shift" fault.

Suggest you re-solder the "E" connection on the LCD - and check the continuity of that wire to the Arduino.

The 'nibble shift' problem is likely due to a somewhat out of spec LCD controller and will probably not be fixed by tinkering with the wiring (other than by adding four more wires and using an 8-bit interface).

Your display will probably work if you use a library that is designed to deal with these low quality displays. One such library was actually written for 40x4 displays but will work with your 16x2.

To get a copy start here:--> http://code.google.com/p/liquidcrystal440/ and follow the [u]Downloads[/u] link to get to the latest version.

Don

I have tried using liquidcrystal440 but i cant fix the code.
First it gave me error of a return type not being the same as the overriden version.
I managed to fix that error.
But then i got errors that WProgram.h could not be found.

BTW, clear the LCD screen after lcd.begin

LarryD: BTW, clear the LCD screen after lcd.begin

I tried that..

LarryD: BTW, clear the LCD screen after lcd.begin

Why?

Don

Gobaz: I have tried using liquidcrystal440 but i cant fix the code. First it gave me error of a return type not being the same as the overriden version. I managed to fix that error. But then i got errors that WProgram.h could not be found.

I don't think that you followed the downloads link to get to the latest version since the updated program is NOT called 'liquidcrystal440'.

Don

floresta:
I don’t think that you followed the downloads link to get to the latest version since the updated program is NOT called ‘liquidcrystal440’.

Don

Ahh ok thanks.
I downloaded the latest version now.
And i tested it, there was no change, same behavior.

Have you tried the 8-bit mode? Note: You will have to use the original library to do this since the liquidcrystal440 library and it's successor do not support the 8-bit mode.

Don