Having Trouble Communicating with Serial Motor Driver

Hello,

I recently picked up a serial motor driver made by Sparkfun (SparkFun Serial Controlled Motor Driver - ROB-09571 - SparkFun Electronics) that Im wanting to use to communicate with an Arduino Uno. I connected the TX and RX pins on the UNO (0 and 1 respectively) to the RX and TX pins on the serial motor driver.

Just to check and make sure everything is performing correctly, I wrote up the simple code below. I made sure to set the baud rate to 115200 bps because that is what the motor driver operates on.

Code:

void setup()
{
Serial.begin(115200);
}
void loop()
{
Serial.print('1');
Serial.print('f');
Serial.print('6');
Serial.print('\r');

delay(2000);

}

I made sure to disconnect the wires from pins 1 and 0 when uploading the code through the USB cord. After doing that, I press the reset button on the UNO,and reconnect pins 1 and 0. Nothing happens after that, the TX led on the UNO will not even light up. What is going on?

What is going on?

Did you remember to connect the grounds?

Zoomkat,

I figured it out. I forgot to include the “#include <SoftwareSerial.h>” command in my coding. After that, everything worked fine. Now i just need to reconif my Xbees for 115200bps transmission, then I should be able to do wirless transmission.

Nick

I forgot to include the “#include <SoftwareSerial.h>” command in my coding.

But the sketch you posted doesn’t reference the software serial library.