Having trouble with rtc clock

Hi, I have a program that worked fine when I used arduino 21. I had a problem with my board and purchased a Leonardo uno board and upgraded to 1.0.5. I had to change a few things when I tried to compile, which I did. The problem now is my display for time reads 33:165:85pm. I have been searching for answers but I can’t seem to find anything on it. This is the code in question: This is only part of it but it really only has to do with the clock.

#define DS1307_I2C_ADDRESS 0x68   // address used for clock
#include "Wire.h"                 // library used
#include <LiquidCrystal.h>        // library used

/* ******************************************************************************************************************** */
/* *                                                                                                                  * */
/* *                                 R T C   C L O C K   D S 1 3 0 7                                                  * */
/* *                                                                                                                  * */
/* ******************************************************************************************************************** */
byte decToBcd(byte val)           // Convert normal decimal numbers to binary coded decimal
{
  return ( (val/10*16) + (val%10) );
}

byte bcdToDec(byte val)           // Convert binary coded decimal to normal decimal numbers
{
  return ( (val/16*10) + (val%16) );
}

// 1) Sets the date and time on the ds1307
                                  // 2) Starts the clock
                                  // 3) Sets hour mode to 24 hour clock
                                  // Assumes you're passing in valid numbers

void setDateDs1307(byte second,   // 0-59
byte minute,                      // 0-59
byte hour,                        // 1-23
byte dayOfWeek,                   // 1-7
byte dayOfMonth,                  // 1-28/29/30/31
byte month,                       // 1-12
byte year)                        // 0-99
{
  Wire.beginTransmission(DS1307_I2C_ADDRESS);
  Wire.write(0);
  Wire.write(decToBcd(second));    // 0 to bit 7 starts the clock
  Wire.write(decToBcd(minute));
  Wire.write(decToBcd(hour));      // If you want 12 hour am/pm you need to set
                                  // bit 6 (also need to change readDateDs1307)
  Wire.write(decToBcd(dayOfWeek));
  Wire.write(decToBcd(dayOfMonth));
  Wire.write(decToBcd(month));
  Wire.write(decToBcd(year));
  Wire.endTransmission();
}

// Gets the date and time from the ds1307
void getDateDs1307(byte *second,
byte *minute,
byte *hour,
byte *dayOfWeek,
byte *dayOfMonth,
byte *month,
byte *year)
{
  // Reset the register pointer
  Wire.beginTransmission(DS1307_I2C_ADDRESS);
  Wire.write(0);
  Wire.endTransmission();

Wire.requestFrom(DS1307_I2C_ADDRESS, 7);

// A few of these need masks because certain bits are control bits
  *second = bcdToDec(Wire.read() & 0x7f);
  *minute = bcdToDec(Wire.read());
  *hour = bcdToDec(Wire.read() & 0x3f); // Need to change this if 12 hour am/pm
  *dayOfWeek = bcdToDec(Wire.read());
  *dayOfMonth = bcdToDec(Wire.read());
  *month = bcdToDec(Wire.read());
  *year = bcdToDec(Wire.read());
}

/* *                                 D E F I N E  :  O N E S E C O N D                                                * */

void onesecond() //function that runs once per second while program is running
{
  byte second, minute, hour, dayOfWeek, dayOfMonth, month, year;
  getDateDs1307(&second, &minute, &hour, &dayOfWeek, &dayOfMonth, &month, &year);
  lcd.setCursor(0, 0);
  if(hour>0)
  {
    if(hour<=12)
    {
      lcd.print(hour, DEC);
    }
    else
    {
      lcd.print(hour-12, DEC);
    }
  }
  else
  {
    lcd.print("12");
  }
  lcd.print(":");
  if (minute < 10) {
    lcd.print("0");
  }
  lcd.print(minute, DEC);
  lcd.print(":");
  if (second < 10) {
    lcd.print("0");
  }
  lcd.print(second, DEC);
  if(hour<12)
  {
    lcd.print("am");
  }
  else
  {
    lcd.print("pm");
  }
  lcd.print(" ");
  delay(1000);
}

/* *                                 S E T U P - D I S P L A Y                                                        * */

byte second, minute, hour, dayOfWeek, dayOfMonth, month, year;
  Wire.begin();
  second = 56;
  minute = 57;
  hour = 23;
  dayOfWeek = 6;  		              // Sunday is 0
  dayOfMonth = 26;
  month = 2;
  year = 11;

/* ********************************************************************************* */
/* *                                                                               * */
/* *     this is where you set your time...                                        * */
/* *     1) change the second, minute, hour, etc above                             * */
/* *     2) remove // below                                                        * */
/* *     3) and load this sketch to your arduino                                   * */
/* *     4) after loading the sketch, put the // back again                        * */
/* *     5) and load this sketch again to your arduino, and save                   * */
/* *                                                                               * */
/* ********************************************************************************* */
  //setDateDs1307(second, minute, hour, dayOfWeek, dayOfMonth, month, year);

analogWrite(blue, bluemin);
  analogWrite(white, whitemin);
  lcd.begin(16, 2); // set up the LCD's number of rows and columns: 
  //  lcd.print("12:00 80.6");    // Print a message to the LCD.
  //  lcd.print(char(223));
  lcd.setCursor(0, 1);
  lcd.print("blue:");
  lcd.print(33*bluemin/85);
  lcd.setCursor(8, 1);
  lcd.print("white:");
  lcd.print(33*whitemin/85);  
}

Anybody?

The oddball numbers, especially the 165 minutes, suggest to me that the code is not seeing the RTC. Have you tried running an I2C scanner just to make sure that the device is visible?

Pete

Ok, that made sense to me. I tried running the scanner and nothing shows up. That gives me at least direction as to where to look. Thanks

Do you have pullup resistors on SDA and SCL?

I do not have any pull up resistors. I did not need them before and it worked. I did fix it but I really don't know how and why. I moved the sda and scl from the lcd to the spots on the board itself and now it works. Thanks for the help, it got me looking and trying something I overlooked.

Pullup resistors are absolutely required. You sometimes can get away with using the internal pullup resistors on the Arduino pins and that might explain why it worked before and is finally working now. It is better to explicitly add 4.7K or 10K resistors to the SDA and SCL pins.