Having trouble with uploading sketch to arduino..

Hey guys, I was wondering what is the main reason for failing to upload sketches to arduino board.. Im kinda new to this stuff .. and I am hoping to figure this out for our project purposes.. now im currently using arduino uno r3.. and i am supposed to test the arduino with basic sketches like "blink" but I was unable to do it because there was an error saying " Problem uploading sketch to board.. and there was red text below .. my Comport is ch340 (COM4) and when I try to open Board Info in the software there was Unknown board.. Please I need your assistance to this matter.. I had been doing research for this problem but there was like so many reasons and i dont know what to do exactly and the appropiate one..

rafaelvincent:
… and there was red text below …

Don’t you think it would have been helpful to post what that “red text” said?

Please do this:

• File > Preferences > Show verbose output during: > compilation (uncheck) > upload (check) > OK
  • Sketch > Upload
  • After the upload fails you’ll see a button on the right side of the orange bar “Copy error messages”. Click that button.
  • Paste the error messages in a reply here USING CODE TAGS (</> button on the toolbar).

rafaelvincent:
when I try to open Board Info in the software there was Unknown board… Please I need your assistance to this matter… I had been doing research for this problem but there

That’s normal with the CH340 and doesn’t indicate any problem.

Sorry I cannot copy the red text because im on mobile phone.. not in my pc.. how do you fix this problem?

Use a real computer. You won't be able to get any real work done on a phone. Copy and pasting text are basic and essential tools.

here it is ...

Arduino: 1.8.5 (Windows 8.1), Board: "Arduino/Genuino Uno"

Sketch uses 928 bytes (2%) of program storage space. Maximum is 32256 bytes. Global variables use 9 bytes (0%) of dynamic memory, leaving 2039 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2048 bytes. avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x9a avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x9a avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x9a avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x9a avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x9a avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x9a avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x9a avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x9a avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x9a avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x9a Problem uploading to board. See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions.

This report would have more information with "Show verbose output during compilation" option enabled in File -> Preferences.

Likely to be USB lead or incorrect/no driver for the Ch340 coms chip .

Always avoided windows 8 , someone may know if there are issues here.

Win 8 does have severe "driver enforcement" issues and some drivers need that turned OFF and/or PROPER ADMINISTRATIVE privileges to install them.

Also avoid USB 3.0 ports/cables where possible and stick to USB 2.0 ports/cables.

Older USB cables seem to have better results.

So far I've download previously a Ch340 driver

Used a Blue 2.0 Usb Cable which goes in the arduino starter kit

Selected the right Com port which is COM4 which is the USB SERIAL CH340 (COM4) on device manager

Selected the right board which Arduino/Genuino Uno

By the way my board has a Label on it which is "UNO R3" and has no Arduino Logo on it.. i think this is a clone board..

What other option do i have?

That it came with a blue USB cable is a dead giveaway for a clone board LOL

This is the link for the officvial CH340/341 drivers and I tend to avoid anywhere else as there are some drivers in the wild that are not as they appear.

Trying other cables and making sure you AVOID USB 3.0 ports on your computer should have given you a fighting chance

It is possible you got a DUD ! these things do happen.

Does the software has got to do with firewall? I mean like blocked apps of some sort?

The IDE does have a setting to access the internet to get the latest boards packages and libraries. However if you have limited internet you can turn that off in the PREFERENCES which can speed up the regular IDE.

Windows 8.0 / 8.1 have very very strict driver enforcement and can stop dead some installations of hardware. If you google "driver enforcement windows 8" you will get a lot of hits and many ways to get around it.

Preferred method is to DISABLE driver enforcement and install drivers as a full ADMINISTRATOR (above a user with admin rights) whilst also turning off any additional security until the drivers are installed.

It is not an Arduino specific issue with that aspect its a Microsoft one ! Things are a little better in Win 10.

If OP sees a COM4 appearing/disappearing when connecting/diconnecting the board to the computer, the driver is installed correctly.

First step (for me) would be to run the loopback test.

PS I have not had problems installing the CH340 driver in Win8.