HC-05 and Win 10 or other device connected through BT

Hello,
recently I bought a bluetooth module HC-05. Its my first try with bluetooth so I expected that it would be easy to setup but for me its not.
Im having hard time communicating with module itself. Firs let me tell you my setup.
I use:
-BT module hc-05
-Logic Level converter to convert arduinos (or others 5v logic) to 3.3v used by HC-05
-Something to connect to pc. I tried arduino with SoftwareSerial but I got nothing from module. Now Im using USB to TTL converter but there is what happenes. I set BT module to be in AT mode and tried sending commands to it but everything what happend was that it gave me the command back.

I typed: AT

Response was: AT

Then I wanted to communicate with module by my PC. It paired but nothing else. I tried pairing for 10 times and 1 of 10 times it even gave me to COM ports (10 and 11) but then disapeared. I looked to device manager and there was error with "Bluetooth Device (RFCCOM Protocol TDI)" (BTW: I use Win 10). So now I dont know what to do. How to communicate with it? Thnx for ANY suggestions.

You might find the following background notes useful

http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~npyner/Arduino/GUIDE_2BT.pdf
http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~npyner/Arduino/BT_2_WAY.ino

I suggest you forget about the AT commands until you really need them - which may be never. I don’t think they are working anyway, as the correct response when you type AT should be OK.

Thanks.
I downloaded the toshiba bluetooth stack and my module now seems to be connected (double blink, 2 seconds delay, double blink) but still I cannot talk to it or see the communication.
I use the USB to TTL and BT module both connected to my PC. Im reading communication from BT module with arduino IDE console and sending commands to converter with teraTerm but I cant get communication. I tried changing baud rates (9600 and 38400) but nothing changed.
Thanks for reply.

Wojta:
Im reading communication from BT module with arduino IDE console and sending commands to converter with teraTerm but I cant get communication.

There seems to be a contradiction here. Maybe English is a second language for you. I assume you are using an HC-05 on a ZS-040 backboard. In the light of that, I suggest you get rid of the USB<>TTL stuff, ensure the wiring is as detailed in the notes, and just use the ZS-040 like everybody else does.

Stay away from the AT commands but, if you have changed the speed, make sure your programme commands match it.

As you said English IS my second language and let me explain.
I connected to module with my pc through bluetooth (in build in my pc) and send text to it.
To get text FROM the module I read it with usb to ttl converter and send it back to pc.
So I have 2 consoles open: 1st - I type something to this console and it goes through BT to HC-05
2nd - I expect data that I typed to 1st console to appear there.
This console is output of the USB to TTL converter.
Hope you understand and will get it working together. BTW: Yes I use ZS-040 backboard. BT module outputs RS232 (Tx and Rx) so I connect it to USB<>TTL and get the data from it. Thanks

OK, the biggest problem is understanding why you would want to do what you are doing. I bet you don’t know, but at least we have established that you are using the ZS-040 module so, as I said above, get rid of the USB<>TTL stuff, ensure the wiring is as detailed in the notes, and just use the ZS-040 like everybody else does.

If you want to engage in some other method, it would be better to do that after you have gotten everything to work in the normal manner. Once you have succeeded at that, you are likely to find that it is all you need.

Nick,
thank you for help, it turns out Im stupid. Dont know If wireing was wrong or what but today I wired the module up and it worked. Sorry for all of that and really thanks for help. :slight_smile:

Good. I was wondering this afternoon if you are using some unusual Arduino. If that is the case, you might like to share the details of the installation.

Thank you

Sure,
I had everything wired correctly, even the USB<>TTL :smiley: was right but I missed wire for COMMON GROUND - That was big mistake so everybody who will see this CHECK IF YOU HAVE COMMON GROUND :smiley: :smiley: Thats all I hope.

Yes, making grounds common is vital but I’m more interested in what Arduino you are using, i.e. why you are using a USB<>TTL module.

I planed using Arduino but with arduino (if I wanted to pass data to pc to see it) I would have to use SoftwareSerial ... and thats little overcomplicated for beginning with BT. So instead of arduino I used my old converter to pass data directly to pc. Hope you will get it :smiley:

You never have to use software serial except when you are using more than one serial device, and even then it is not a very good idea.

You never have to use software serial except when you are using more than one serial device

I would have to - 1 serial port "eats" HC-05 and another is needed to send data to computer.
Maybe Im not getting something but it works for me like that and its easyest way I could think of. :smiley:
Sorry if Im wrong

Hey I am using arduino mega and I had the same problem. It connects but nothing is displayed on serial monitor. It does work on my uno though for some reason. What could be the problem?

If your problem really is the same as that here, which is unlikely, the solution is the same and is in reply #8.

Since your module and code work on your Uno. The most likely problem with the Mega is bad wiring.