HC-12 transciever

Hey, I'm considering buying the HC-12 transciever over the standard, cheaper 433mHz receiver & transmitter due to the 1km range.

My question is as follows: Can I use the VirtualWire libraries to control the two HC-12 components?

If not, what other options do I have over the VirtualWire libraries? I could hradly find any documentation online.

Component link: https://eu.banggood.com/Wholesale-Warehouse-HC-12-433-SI4463-Wireless-Serial-Module-Remote-1000M-With-Antenna-wp-Eu-973522.html?rmmds=cart

Thank you.

The HC-12 handles all the over the air protocol. You can connect them directly to serial ports on the Arduino and just use simple serial comms.

You may need to issue some AT commands to configure the devices as shown here:

So can I use it with VirtualWire? I'm a total beginner at this.

Thanks for your patience.

mawej1:
So can I use it with VirtualWire? I'm a total beginner at this.

Thanks for your patience.

Why do you want to use it with VirtualWire?

I find it to be the easiest framework to work with (byt the looks of it). Is that a bad assumption?

mawej1:
I find it to be the easiest framework to work with (byt the looks of it). Is that a bad assumption?

Depends on what you are trying to do. What are you trying to do?

They will not work with VirtualWire.

I'm planning to build a real-time telemetry feed (altitude, acceleration, gyro).

How can I use the components then to send that data?

Then, are there other components that can support up to ~600m range (open field)?

mawej1:
I'm planning to build a real-time telemetry feed (altitude, acceleration, gyro).

How can I use the components then to send that data?

Then, are there other components that can support up to ~600m range (open field)?

I already told you how to use the HC-12 and provided a link. In reply #1.

Thanks, I thought there is a complete folder somewhere with full documentation. Nevertheless, are there some alternatives to this component that would support VirtualWire?

mawej1:
Thanks, I thought there is a complete folder somewhere with full documentation. Nevertheless, are there some alternatives to this component that would support VirtualWire?

VirtualWire only works with ASK/OOK modulation.

You have to provide more complete details about your application and the physical environment in which it will operate in order to answer that question. That is because RF propagation varies a lot depending on the objects nearby and in the signal path.

Is weight and size an issue? You have a drone or balloon? Cost?