HC06 constantly drops out on battery

Hi guys,

I've been using the HC06 bluetooth module to communicate between my phone (samsung s7) and an arduino atmega2560.

Everything runs fine when the arduino is powered by the USB cable. Software works as intended, communaction good and hardware response as it should (an RC car controlled with phone). I haven't been able to find the answer from similar forum posts.

When I power the arduino using batteries (8xAA = 12V), the bluetooth module will frequently reset itself and cuts its connection. This usually happens in 10-20 seconds. I have connected the bluetooth module to the 5v output pin on the arduino board. The Vin pin on the arduino board is connected directly with the battery, although it is shared with a motor driver (l298) powering 2 motors.

Is there something significantly different with the power outputs from a battery compared to the usb connection?

sali02: The Vin pin on the arduino board is connected directly with the battery, although it is shared with a motor driver (l298) powering 2 motors.

Maybe that is where the problem lies, and you are blaming the wrong thing.

That direction of thinking helped out a lot! Thanks Nick, the problem was actually a short that occurred with the motor driver module as I placed it on top of the arduino. A couple of pins was sitting on the usb hole (which was metal) of the arduino shorting it!

Lesson learnt! Apologies about the silliness.

We all learn.....