header pin expander?

Does anyone market or otherwise make a header pin expander? I know I could buy some pc board mount headers and bend-over/solder-together all but the last pin, but I can use it so often (especially for raw, vcc and ground pins) that it would be nice to have something pre-fab and less ugly to provide multiple connections to the power and ground connections. I'm not even sure what the search for!

SW

P.S. and yes, I know that's what the rows on a breadboard are for, but sometimes I work on stuff without the breadboard for specific reasons, such as testing to make sure components will fit in a small compartment before actually soldering wires.

this sort of thing but not as home-brew or using up my extra headers.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Balancing-Instructable-Robot/step7/Increase-The-arduino-power-pins/

SW

treii28 Good idea.

This is a constant nuisance when working with microcontroller development boards. When I design a microcontroller breakout board, I put a row of Vcc and Ground pins, at least 3-4, because the moment you start using it, you'll immediately need more power and ground pins. I've used strip-board for this purpose, as well as much uglier "solutions", like groups of dupont jumpers cut in the middle and soldered together (so 2 connectors become a 3-1 splitter)

I think a lot of people use breadboard when making their projects (I prefer dupont line, because breadboards never seem to work), which gives you an easy way to connect up power and ground rails (and even if it didn't have those, you could just tie together a few rows of pins and have all the holes for ground that you need), or maybe they just stick with shields, or something.

If you're working with a Pro Mini (or Micro - they should also fit just fine), you might find the project board (like the stuff shown in my avatar) interesting - I sell it on tindie, see link in sig.

treii28:
Does anyone market or otherwise make a header pin expander? I know I could buy some pc board mount headers and bend-over/solder-together all but the last pin, but I can use it so often (especially for raw, vcc and ground pins) that it would be nice to have something pre-fab and less ugly to provide multiple connections to the power and ground connections. I’m not even sure what the search for!

SW

P.S. and yes, I know that’s what the rows on a breadboard are for, but sometimes I work on stuff without the breadboard for specific reasons, such as testing to make sure components will fit in a small compartment before actually soldering wires.

I bought one of those prototype boards that have all the pins connected together and you cut where you don’t want a connection. I just cut down the center to separate 5V and 0V.

I cut the board into a rectangle, soldered in the headers, added a few caps (100uF and 0.1uF) and made my power bus. It’s part of my “all-in-one” Arduino test bed.

5v_bus.jpg

That "instructable" has the right idea but the wrong board. It shows single-pad perfboard whereas you need stripboard with the pins in a row already connected.

You just can't go better than that and Krupski gives an excellent example - with colour-coded socket strips no less!