Heads up on a Compiler Bug

Hi folks just posting a heads up on a compiler issue I came across

Error message is as follows

"c:/program files/arduino/hardware/tools/avr/bin/../lib/gcc/avr/4.3.2/../../../../avr/lib/avr6/crtm2560.o: In function __vector_default': (.vectors+0x58): relocation truncated to fit: R_AVR_13_PCREL against symbol __vector_22' defined in .text section in c:/program files/arduino/hardware/tools/avr/bin/../lib/gcc/avr/4.3.2/../../../../avr/lib/avr6/crtm2560.o"

I have been sticking a lot of strings in PROGMEM to free up some ram and it turns out that with certain string combos, the compiler will just give up the ghost.

These are the two lines that caused the problem.

const char METRES[] PROGMEM = "METRES& ";
const char FEET[] PROGMEM = "FEET& ";

I did some checking and it seems including one & in either of the strings works fine, but add in the second, and the compiler threw the error. I also noticed that taking them out completely and leaving no space after either of the strings, IE..

const char METRES[] PROGMEM = "METRES";
const char FEET[] PROGMEM = "FEET";

.. also threw the same error. But by adding a space after each string it worked.

const char METRES[] PROGMEM = "METRESĀ  ";
const char FEET[] PROGMEM = "FEETĀ  ";

I tried sticking the & in various other strings and had no issues and likewise with adding / removing a space to/from the end of various other strings.

Not sure what to make of it as I'm not into compiler analysis but thought I would post the data here and let others cast their judgement.