Heat on Arduino

I will be putting my Arduino Uno out in the sun all day in 45-80 degrees fahrenheit. Should I blow air over the board using a fan to cool it off or should it be fine without any cooling?

The Industrial version operating range is rated -40 to 85C.

LarryD:
The Industrial version operating range is rated -40 to 85C.

I think the range is larger as mentioned in the datasheet Temperature Range: -40°C to 105°C

Anyway, the board can work without any cooling for sure.

Hi, Two factors to consider:

• At least shield it from direct sun

• The practical limitation is not dissipation of the Atmel controller chip, but the power regulator(s)

How are you powering this?

What external load will be on the Arduino 5.0 and 3.3V pins?

See THIS: for some of those considerations...

We call 85F "cool" in Arizona!

Terry - very good point. If the board is already running hot, the ambient air at 30C won't help cool it much. A fan is all it would likely take tho.

Larry - I was unaware there was an industrial version of the Uno. Or do you mean replacing the standard 328 dip with a more robust version?

terryking228:
Hi, Two factors to consider:

• At least shield it from direct sun

• The practical limitation is not dissipation of the Atmel controller chip, but the power regulator(s)

How are you powering this?

What external load will be on the Arduino 5.0 and 3.3V pins?

See THIS: for some of those considerations...

there are 2 solar panel inputting into the arduino and a servo is powered by an external 5v source

I was just going by the data sheet:

There’s actually 2 temperature grades you can buy. Larry might have an older datasheet. Not sure which version is in the official board, probably the 85oC PU version.
screenshot.11.jpg

Look at the suffixes - -PU is the plastic DIP that is normally installed.
-Ax and -Mx are SMD parts.
-PN is not typically seen and are not as available:
http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?keywords=atmega328p-p
qty 300 available for -PN vs qty 20000+ for -PU

There is also an automotive SMD part, -15AZ and -15MZ, rated to 125C

Course, who knows what the rest of the parts are rated to?
I designed a '328P based board for use in Africa where all the parts were rated to 125C or better (150C).