"Heat shrink adhesive sheet"

Hello,
I’m working on a automatic chess board. It’s basically a chess board with REED switches underneath each square (to detect the position of each piece) and an electromagnet mounted on a 2-axis system (to move the pieces).
I would like to prevent the electromagnet from getting stuck in the wires of the REEDs underneath the board when moving. To do so, I was thinking of an adhesive sheet I would put on the REED matrix (see picture of the matrix). However, I’m afraid a simple adhesive sheet would not stick properly and would not fit in perfectly. So I was thinking of a “heat shrink adhesive sheet” (about 300*300mm) that would take the form of the matrix when heated.
Could anyone give some advice on where I could buy such material ? Or maybe a better way to prevent the electromagnet from getting stuck in the wires ?
Thx, Antoine

Picture: The REED switches are mounted in a matrix (just like a LED matrix but with diodes).

IMG_3771.jpg

You could use melted glue from a glue gun (home made translation) here and there. Use those spots as pilers carying the bridge of cables. Tie the cables together here and there.

Not an answer to your question, but... No need to put REED in capitals. Its not an acronym. Reed switches are named after the leaves of the reed plant, or the reeds used in musical instruments (which are also made from the plant, or were in the past).

Why have you not considered using a sheet of material, just like you pictured, to cover the relay matrix?

Paul

How about potting it in Epoxy? Pour it in then a bit of sanding on the top and paint for the squares.

@saildude
How survicable will that be? How changable?

@Railroader

Fiberglass/epoxy boats last for decades, the OP will be able tp pass it on to his grand kids assuming it is treated with a bit of care

Not very changeable without extra work, grinding out the epoxy is not fun

Everything would need to be tested real well

Hi,
OPs diag,
IMG_3771.jpg
Tom... :slight_smile:

Reed switches and a magnet to move under them.

If the magnet is supposed to move just one piece at a time, the more distance between the magnet and the piece the less chance that's going to happen.

Magnetic field loses power by the CUBE of distance.

Thank you all for your answers.

Railroader:
You could use melted glue from a glue gun (home made translation) here and there. Use those spots as pilers carying the bridge of cables. Tie the cables together here and there.

I'll probably do that to secure fragile points. But I'm afraid putting glue gun might make the board thicker (it has to be 8mm thick max).

saildude:
How about potting it in Epoxy? Pour it in then a bit of sanding on the top and paint for the squares.

I agree with Railroader, this solution will make any modification impossible.

GoForSmoke:
Reed switches and a magnet to move under them.

If the magnet is supposed to move just one piece at a time, the more distance between the magnet and the piece the less chance that's going to happen.

Magnetic field loses power by the CUBE of distance.

That's why I'm trying to make it thin.

I think I'm gonna end up putting fabric on top of the reed ( :wink: ) matrix. To do so, I'll build "walls" (a wooden frame) around the board and staple the fabric.
Don't hesitate proposing other solutions or commenting the feasibility of this one.
Thanks,
Antoine

I submit that you are going about the whole project that will only fail.

First, mill pockets in the board to fir the reed relays so they are in the board, not on the board.

Second, use #30 or smaller wire to make the connections, so the wire is either on the board surface, or mill traces into the board for the wires.

Third, make a thin chess board patterned decal to go onto the surface of the board to cover the reed relay holes and make the playing surface.

Now, is the finished product thin enough for your magnetic device to work?

Paul

Hold the magnet under the board and see how far below the board the magnet on moves 1 piece and not any next to it. That mag field does spread out.

BTW, how will the Knights jump over Pawns with this system? Move the pawn first assumes there is a space to move the pawn out then back.

PS -- how do you get the magnet to go from moving 1 piece to move the next?

Ant_Wan_Kenobi:
Hello,
I'm working on a automatic chess board. It's basically a chess board with REED switches underneath each square (to detect the position of each piece) and an electromagnet mounted on a 2-axis system (to move the pieces).

How does your knight move since it often has to jump over other pieces?