Heater valve controls

Ive been playing around for a while with these and now have decided to move past the blinking lights and sounds.

I want to make a heater control circuit for my civic. There hot coolant flow is controlled by butterfly valve that currently is cable driven. I assume a servo motor would provide the ideal operation for this. However, how do they hold up in under hood conditions? Water, salt, hot, cold. Is there one that is ideal for this or should i have the servo located in the cabin and pull/push the current cable?

Operation would be to press button (+/-) and have the servo step the valve open/closed.

Thoughts and suggestions please!!!

Thoughts and suggestions please!!!

You might find this hard to believe but we have no idea what size motor you need for a honda civic. Your question is meaningless without a photo and maybe even the datasheet for the motor that is factory installed (if there is one). If you have no idea then we at least need to know the specifications for the motor in terms of torque or load and the accuracy required. You cannot possibly expect us to know that information for a Honda civic. You have to do YOUR homework before you post here. Get all the required information and then post a photo of the cable you need to drive back and forth. Take measurements of the cable travel.
Take measurements of the available space where a motor would go. Look online for motors. Look for Servo drivers for the motors.
The motors used for most arduino project are simple dc motors or steppers. We rarely get projects involving a servo motor capable of precision positioning (PID control). That is not to say that it is not possible, just not that common. Try spending some time
with Google. Coming here and asking for "Thoughts and suggestions " is fine but I hope you are not expecting us to design a servo controlled system for you, because that is probably not going to happen. Gather the information we need to give you suggestions first, and then after you post that , we'll give you our thoughts.

I assume a servo motor would provide the ideal operation for this. However, how do they hold up in under hood conditions?

Hobby servos are not designed for those conditions, so their life might be short.

Hi, instead of a servo you may need to look for a small linear actuator, I'd say the valve you want to turn has a lever pulled by the cable.
A servo to work under automotive conditions would be very expensive, they would have to have a build rating of at least IP65. or IP66.

http://www.dsmt.com/resources/ip-rating-chart

Tom...... :slight_smile:

define your problem.

is that butterfly valve easy to move? some automotive parts are designed to be balanced and easy to move.

others are designed to be very hard to move and require some force.

if know that a different model of your vehicle, or another model that has automatic valves, maybe you can fit a motorized valve ?

on the mechanical side, the sliding cable is not a device that lends itself to automation. the friction is wear. under automatic control the wire will be moving continuously and wear will be high.