Helicopter auto stabilization

Greetings!

I want to make a rc helicopter float in mid air by itself and control only the elevation via rc remote. The helicopter has 2 servos on the main twin blade rotor which control the pitch and roll and a tail rotor for yaw.

Please help me find the best approach for my project. I was thinking about TinkerKit Gyroscope 2 Axis sensitivity 1X or 4X but I'm a bit confused!

Thank you in advance!

Regards, Adrian N.

IN the upper right corner is a search field, have you checked it yet?

IN your question you tell very little about what kind of helicopter you want to make - nr of rotors - size - weight - color - wired / wireless - only an up/down type or also forth back left right - additional sensors or functionality - ... in short, too many open questions to give any answer ...

Hi robtillaart and thank you for your reply.

My helicopter is a Walkera with one main motor and a rear motor. I've posted some photos here(didn't manage to use the forum's function): http://imageshack.us/g/534/p06121121010001.jpg/

Dimensions: - 42 cm from nose to tail. - 52 cm, 25 cm main rotor blades - 15 cm rear rotor blade It has ~ 300 grams. It's powered by 7xAA batteries. The main motor blades are controlled with 2 servos. It has a RC remote. Probably 2.4 Ghz with a long antenna (115 cm).

What I want to do with it: 1 - The heli is down. 2 - Push the throttle until the heli lifts off. 3 - Keep the throttle steady and the heli hovers in the same spot. 4 - Push the throttle up. The heli gains altitude. 5 - Push the throttle down. The heli lands.

I want it to go only up and down. No right/left. I also want in the last stage of the project to put 2 blinking LEDs. One under the nose and one on the other side of the tail motor.

Many thanks! Regards, Adrian N.

I've seen autopilot systems that others have got working and I get the impression it takes a considerable amount of knowledge to get the control algorithms good enough, plus an ample supply of spare parts to get there. There are small models fairly cheaply available that have gyro stabilisers and will more or less do what you want but they seem to only provide attitude stability and not position stability. People have got position stability working too but only after considerable time and effort, and not to the sort of resolution you'd need for indoor flying (which I assume is your goal, given the size of the helicopter).

One thing that is missing (as far as I can see) from all the commercial model helicopter autopilots is any sort of proximity sensing. Wouldn't it be great if it could detect when it was approaching ceiling/floor/walls and avoid crashing into them? Conceptually that seems like a much more tractable problem to solve, and also one that would be darned useful for indoor flying.

Hello Peter. Thank you for your reply.

My project is for collage diploma. I have to make it until summer. It's not mandatory to fly the heli indoors but I will present it indoors.

Now I'm doing a knowledge gathering, learn how to fly it from the RC, playing a bit with Arduino and start working on it from January. Buying a pre made heli is not an option. This is the whole point... making it by myself.

Proximity sensors sound good. Maybe if I make it fly by itself outside, I will implement some sort of proximity detection.

Thank you. ADRIAN

Soo… it sounds like nobody has any experience regarding floatable wanna be helicopters?

:blush:

Here are a few listed here. Small RC helis are really hard to autonomously control, which is why most of the working projects use very large helis and quadcopters.

http://diydrones.com/profiles/blog/show?id=705844%3ABlogPost%3A19367