Hello, need help by lcd Display issue

Hi, i´m new here and need really help.

I got here three 16x2 lcd Display frome the same manufacturer ( ANAG VISION ). All three have a ST7066U (KS0066) or equivalent controller.
I also have two Arduinos, Arduino Mega 2560 and Arduino Duamillanove.

Here the Datasheets od the lcd Displays:

AV1624 lcd

AV1621 lcd ( got two of them )

When i´m using the LiquidCrystal Library in the Arduino 1.0.1 Softweare then will just the AV1624 work fine. But i need the bigger AV1621 for my Case that i´m build already before.

If i try to configure the AV1621 i just get black lines and one sign in the right buttom corner. I am realy frustrated about that because i try to get it work for more than 3 days and still no progress. Searched in WWW a lot, but everythig that i found dont work.

Here some Pictures: Click on the Pictures!

AV1621 issue! 4Bit Mode

AV1621 issue! 8Bit Mode

AV1624 still fine!

Hope some guys here can help me, maybe it is good to know that i am a beginner in Arduino. Thanks for any help

Here a short VIDEO:

// include the library code: 4Bit Mode
#include <LiquidCrystal.h>

// initialize the library with the numbers of the interface pins
LiquidCrystal lcd(12, 11, 5, 4, 3, 2);

void setup() {
  // set up the LCD's number of columns and rows: 
  lcd.begin(16, 2);
  // Print a message to the LCD.
  lcd.print("hello, world!");
}

void loop() {
  // set the cursor to column 0, line 1
  // (note: line 1 is the second row, since counting begins with 0):
  lcd.setCursor(0, 1);
  // print the number of seconds since reset:
  lcd.print(millis()/1000);
}
// include the library code: 8Bit Mode
#include <LiquidCrystal.h>

// initialize the library with the numbers of the interface pins
LiquidCrystal lcd(12, 11, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2);

void setup() {
  // set up the LCD's number of columns and rows:
  lcd.begin(16,2);
  lcd.clear();
  lcd.setCursor(0,0); 
  // Print a message to the LCD.
  lcd.print("HELLO WORLD")
}

void loop() {
  // set the cursor to column 0, line 1
  // (note: line 1 is the second row, since counting begins with 0):
  lcd.setCursor(0, 1);
  // print the number of seconds since reset:
  lcd.print(millis()/1000);
}

After you have one of the LCDs working properly you should be able to: (1) Remove the power, (2) Replace the LCD with one of the others, (3) Turn the power back on.

If the device is good it should display just what the previous one did.

Also: We have to know precisely which sketch (code) is associated with each photograph.

Don

I try it. But still the same,

The large lcd Display´s (AV1621) shown always wrong letters... The small one is fine..

It looks like your AV1621 devices may be out of specification. With displays like this we find that they sometimes work in the 8-bit mode when they do not work in the 4-bit mode. Your photographs seem to back up this theory since the display using the 8-bit technique is closer to correct than the the one using the 4-bit technique.

If this is the case you could probably get them to work by hacking the library. Adding delays to your sketch probably won’t work.

Don

Edit: I think the LiquidCrystal440 library and the later version called LiquidCrystal1.0 have been adjusted to compensate for the sluggish LCD modules. This library was designed for 40x4 displays but it should work, in 4-bit mode only, for any character mode display. Start here: http://code.google.com/p/liquidcrystal440/

I got following Error Msg with this Librarys

I got following Error Msg with this Librarys

That is because you are using the earlier version of the library with the newer version of the IDE.

Don

Ok thx for that, i tryed Version 18 & 19 of the IDE, booth works now with the Library. But now i cant upload my program to the board, got a new error msg.

Board and Port are right. Checked them in the menu.

Why don't you try the current version of the IDE along with LiquidCrystal1.0?

Don

i did it already, still the same with LiquidCrystal1.0 and Arduino 1.0.1

The lcd still shows wrong letters. :(

that sucks, im realy pissed on.

Did u guys know some good 16x2 lcd Displays (Modul size: 122x44x10mm) for the Arduino that i can get here in Germany ?

Here a Video, please watch...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=578AmtXu5e8&feature=youtu.be

edit

this guy hase exactly the same problem and he find a way to fix it, but how ?

http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1293359197

Look at this: You're getting 'x' instead of 'h'. q instead of a, v instead f, s instead c and so on

always less significant bit in upper four bits is changed to HIGH: x = LHHH h = LHHL

q istead of a q = LHHH a = LHHL

v = LHHH f = LHHL

and so on.

Short wire? Something thats pulling this high? Try to focus on this.

I didn't check if it is in four or eight bit mode or if it is also happening in the lower bits

I have to say those are the best most complete LCD wiring photos I've seen. All the wiring is clearly visible.

You might try adding some decoupling caps.

I'm curious on the external power supply. Why not use USB to power everything?

--- bill

Look at this: You're getting 'x' instead of 'h'. q instead of a, v instead f, s instead c and so on

Shouldn't you address this to the author of the video?

Don

i did it already, still the same with LiquidCrystal1.0 and Arduino 1.0.1

The lcd still shows wrong letters.

Are you getting the same incorrect results with LiquidCrystal1.0 or are they different? Once again we have to know precisely which sketch (code) is associated with each photograph.

Don

HHTHH,

I have the same LCD here (1624 from conrad).. I also have the same issue with the same wireing. Only blocks with the lower on 50% of the light power..

Greetings, Jediah

Only blocks with the lower on 50% of the light power..

I think something got lost in the translation.

If you are saying that you have one row of blocks then you have a different problem.

If the single row of blocks appears to be on the lower half of the display then you have the display upside down.

Don

Ok guys, i purchased me a new LCD and everything is fine now.

BTT

A Guy give me the right solution in my Youtube Video that i made few postings before, he told me that maybe the D4 Pin on my LCD was brik or have a internal defect and i have to check it. I did that and saw that the D4 Pin was not working on both of my AV1621 LCD´s

Soldering and wires are ok. Just a simple manufacturing defect.

Thank u guys for all your help.

Greetings HHTHH

floresta:

Only blocks with the lower on 50% of the light power..

I think something got lost in the translation.

If you are saying that you have one row of blocks then you have a different problem.

If the single row of blocks appears to be on the lower half of the display then you have the display upside down.

Don

Excuse me for my weird post, i was kinda drunk, haha.

What i mean, the lowest of the 2 bars on my lcd appears to have only 50% of it's light printed. I have the same problem as HHTHH so i suppose my lcd is also defect.

You can lead em to water and you can push their noses into the water... and in the end all you have is a dead...

Doc

Guys after all your helping tips i thought that i show you all my projekt that i´m working for.

Thanks again to all of you :)

http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,117603.msg884857.html#msg884857

Greetings

HHTHH (V.Alici)