Help a newbie make an e-reader

I am wanting to start a project to make an e-reader.

It will comprise text files on an SD card which are then read and displayed onto an LCD screen plus the ability to scroll up/down (and/or left/right). I plan on using a DOGM204 lcd module and probably a pro micro (sparkfun).

I would really appreciate any help as to how I could make this.

areyouSquared:
I would really appreciate any help as to how I could make this.

Which part are you having trouble with?

The part I’m having most trouble with is connecting the LCD, SD and buttons to the arduino.

For example, I have seen some projects which just connect the LCD direct to the arduino, and others that have a protoboard with resistors, pots, etc between the lcd and arduino.

Got a link to "DOGM204 lcd module" ?

Pretty sure I've figured out how to connect the SD (found a good tute elsewhere) now I'm still stuck at how I will connect up the lcd and the buttons.

The LCD on-board using SSD1803 controller is 90% compatible with the widely-used HD44780 controller.
and it can use 4-/8-BIT, SPI (4-WIRE) AND I²C (2-WIRE) interface

The display is powered from a single 3.3 V input.

A 150 mA constant current source is needed for the LED back lighting

you can try the code from these web site

http://mbed.org/cookbook/Text-LCD-Enhanced

https://bitbucket.org/fmalpartida/new-liquidcrystal/wiki/Home

EA_DOGM204-8bit.png

EA_DOGM204-4bit.png

EA_DOGM204-Serial.png

EA_DOGM204-I2C.png

Thanks BillHo. Some useful insights and reading there for me.
May I ask, what is the difference between the four interface options? Are there advantages/disadvantages to each in certain circumstances?

areyouSquared:
May I ask, what is the difference between the four interface options? Are there advantages/disadvantages to each in certain circumstances?

The advantages for parallel 8 bits or 4 bits mode will be it load faster to display but disadvantages is you need more I/O pins.
For serial and I2C mode will used less I/O pins but disadvantages in speed.
It is all your choice.