Help/advice please: wanting to make a breathing sculpture with modified air pump

Hello,

I was pointed in this direction for assistance with a sculpture I would like to make.

Essentially it would be like an air mattress or bouncy castle, but instead of constant air filling the sculpture up I would like the pump to stop and start every 5-10 seconds.

I am new to all this, but willing to learn and solder etc., but don’t have a lot of money for the project.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks

ellbobee:
Hello,

I was pointed in this direction for assistance with a sculpture I would like to make.

Essentially it would be like an air mattress or bouncy castle, but instead of constant air filling the sculpture up I would like the pump to stop and start every 5-10 seconds.

I am new to all this, but willing to learn and solder etc., but don’t have a lot of money for the project.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks

Welcome to the Arduino forum. I hope you have a successful project.

What have you do so far to realize your project? What have you done with your Arduino? Any programming? Got any of the sample programs to compile and tested?

There surely must be more to your sculpture thad just pumping a bit of air for a few seconds! What volume of air is necessary to fill the sculpture? What pump are you using? Can your pump be remotely controlled? How?

Do you have a way to control the escaping air or do you want to pop your sculpture?

Paul

Paul_KD7HB:
Do you have a way to control the escaping air or do you want to pop your sculpture?

Paul

My take is that they would like to (for lack of a better word here)… inflate a ‘bag’ (sculpture)… which already has an opening for air to escape.

But turning off the ‘pump’… it will like the sculpture is ‘exhaling’ (as air escapes)

By turning the pimp back on in 5 seconds… air will fill up again… and make the sculpture look as if it is ‘taking a breath’

No clue about the specs of the pump itself… or the sculpture (material or volume)…

It seems to be a case for a simple Arduino >> RELAY project.

xl97:
My take is that they would like to (for lack of a better word here).. inflate a 'bag' (sculpture)... which already has an opening for air to escape.

But turning off the 'pump'.. it will like the sculpture is 'exhaling' (as air escapes)

By turning the pimp back on in 5 seconds.. air will fill up again.. and make the sculpture look as if it is 'taking a breath'

No clue about the specs of the pump itself.. or the sculpture (material or volume)...

I agree, but the OP may not have completed an actual design nor done anything with an Ardiuno.

Paul

Addition: MY nephew went to the Seattle Art Institute and lived with us for the two years. I have a pretty good understanding of artist non-thinking.

Not going to guess here ellbobee.

Why do you want the pump to turn on and off?

Forget all the technical details and tell us what you are doing and what you want to do. (Pretend you are explaining it to a class full of people)

Daz.

Or a really dumb person. We try not to be , but for these purposes, treat us as if we were.

In particular it would help to know if you already have a working pump , it's specs - a link would help.

Allan.

xl97:

Or a 555 timer.