Help an art student!!

Hi I am trying to control a 'linear actuator'. I basically want to be able to run and reverse the motor.

I have also bought (maybe mistakenly) what was described as a 'smart motor speed controller'.

So what I want to be able to do is hook up the motor to the speed controller (im guessing to the 'output'), I also have a 9v battery to hook up to the 'power'. My problem is the three pins named 'control'? is this where I should hook up the arduino? and should there be a circuit running before this?

Hopefully this makes sense..

Thanks!

More information on the components:
http://www.mindsetsonline.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=16_13_438&products_id=204
http://www.mindsetsonline.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=16_13_438&products_id=1009983

IMG_0010.jpg

Looks like it's where the variable resistor should be connected in order to control the speed.

In case you're unaware:

[This should be between 1k to 100k]

--edit--
Also it doesn't seem to be able to control the direction of motor rotation.

Presumably the board supplies the 5v to the pot, and reads back the value of the middle pin.... So, it "might" be feasible to put the Arduino ground pin to the Control 0v and then to PWM the Control "INP" pin from the Arduino, which will give it a "pseudo-voltage" between 0 and 5 for speed. Not sure though, more knowledgeable folks than I should comment on that idea before you hook it up... E&OE

TheNonbeing:
Also it doesn't seem to be able to control the direction of motor rotation.

Relay H-bridge (buy more parts.)
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=79431.0

JimboZA:
Presumably the board supplies the 5v to the pot, and reads back the value of the middle pin.... So, it "might" be feasible to put the Arduino ground pin to the Control 0v and then to PWM the Control "INP" pin from the Arduino, which will give it a "pseudo-voltage" between 0 and 5 for speed.

I'm not sure JimboZA.
I can't read that 8-pin IC, though.
If it needs a true variable DC, PWM could be smoothed out (buy more parts.)

pwm_DC.bmp (200 KB)

You could use a single channel digital potentiometer to control the speed from Arduino. Taking direction control also into account I'd think it's easier and more efficient to just build motor controller from the scratch -or buy one.

C'mon. Digital pot... bosh.

All that's really needed is the FET and PWM its Gate, but I'm figuring that hacking (Dremelling) traces will be a bridge too far in this case.

To use the board (and, yes, the purchase was... premature) then the cap, the resistor, and the diode to smooth the PWM for a 'nice' DC, in place of the pot., are pretty cheap and most expedient. An intrepid fellow could probably scrounge those parts (or close enough) out of a junked radio.

Since you need bidirectional control then any standard motor shield is the way to go.
That website doesn't even give the voltage for the actuator's motor, but one thing is
for sure a standard 9V battery (PP3 sized) is completely inadequate as a motor power
supply. You need to find out the operating current for the motor and find a supply that
can handle it with room to spare.