Help! Arduino Beginner

Hello, we would like to ask some help in our project using arduino. Our project is about reading a student's RFID with a range between 1- 3 ft. because we would like to improve the tapping of RFID on the RFID reader to a walk-in RFID, we are using Arduino Uno r3 and a passive RFID for the students ID, Here's our question:

1. how to attain the range within 3ft. using arduino uno r3? do we need some kind of antenna that could compensate within the desired range? if so, what antenna is compatible for arduino uno r3?

2. Are there any manual or instruction for programming arduino and that antenna?

3. Is it possible for a passive RFID to be read between 1- 3ft. ?

We would welcome all ideas and suggestions to make our project successful, cheers. :slight_smile:

I'm pretty sure the range of the RFID has got nothing to do with the Arduino: surely that's a matter for the radio comms between the reader and the card?

edit...it's a bit meaningless to talk about "within 3ft".... 0.1 inch is "within 3ft"

Reading material:

https://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=RFID&btnG=search&domains=http%3A%2F%2Fforum.arduino.cc&sitesearch=http%3A%2F%2Fforum.arduino.cc&gws_rd=ssl

JimboZA:
I'm pretty sure the range of the RFID has got nothing to do with the Arduino: surely that's a matter for the radio comms between the reader and the card?

edit...it's a bit meaningless to talk about "within 3ft".... 0.1 inch is "within 3ft"

i mean..ranges between 1-3 ft sorry about that..gonna edit the post :slight_smile:

anyway.i lookup on the link given by zoomkat. uhm thx for that.but i still get confused on what antenna should i use ?? all i see is mfrc522..so is it good for passive rfid with a range between 1-3 ft ??

You are going to have to spend some time researching the RFID portion of your project. There are many different types out there (and frequencies used) - they are not all compatible with each other either (reader A typically can’t deal with RFID tag of type B). I do remember reading a while back on some they use with cattle that allows them to read it at a greater distance than most cards can be read at - typically the RFID cards are more in the range of a few inches. Once you find the information you need on the RFID technology that fits your requirements, then you can address the issue of do you want to do something with an Arduino, PIC or other type processor.

About two years ago (pre my YouTube video channel so nothing to watch there :slightly_frowning_face: ) I experimented with RFID tags using a Microchip PIC microcontroller and only got it working about 1cm away from the sensor. Very disappointing.

Sometimes my local Costco 'scans' an entire trolley load of goods (without unpacking it first) using some sort of handheld device but they only do this when it is REALLY busy (like at XMAS) so I'm guessing it's not as accurate as it should be so they waive the cost of a few items for the convenience of reducing the queue length.

So that sort of shows that there are different sorts of RFID detectors and some will work at greater distances than others - but I've found nothing for the hobbyist that works above a couple of centimeters (not yet, anyway, but our Far Eastern friends are doubtless keeping their eyes on what's available out there and you might well stumble upon something).

I have occasionally had them scan the items in my basket at Costco, but those are with hand held laser bar code readers that then tie back to the register I think with wifi (not sure on the link part, but I do know they are using the laser bar code scanners).