Help Arduino Duemilanova Stopped Uploading

Please could I have some advice:-

I was developing code to control a valve for my car engine PWM signal with PID feedback loop. It was working quite well, but then after modifying the code, it would not upload anymore. The error message is:- avrdude: stk500_getsync() : not in sync: resp=0x00 avrdude: stk500_diable() : protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51 The only thing I did was to disconnect the USB lead. I have uninstalled the driver on com17 and reinstalled but just the same. I have put an LED on pin13 and pressed reset but it does not flash When trying to upload the Rx LED flahes twice only.

I had a potentiometer fed into analog0, another potentiometer fed into analog1 (both fed with 5v from the board) digital out9 and 10 going to Pololu MD01B motor driver board and a PWM signal from digital11 to the same board.

I am running Windows Vista business I would be very grateful for any help Thanks, Mark

Try the loopback test:

Try this Plug in the Arduino Choose the correct serial port Open the serial monitor Connect a wire between pins 0 and 1 Hold down the reset button while you type something in the serial monitor and press send. Do you see what you typed in the serial monitor?

I was having the same problem uploading this morning and had exactly the same error message as Mark. I started this reply but continued to work through the problem, and am recording my notes here in hope that my experience nearly killing my board will be instructive as you work through yours.

avrdude: stk500_getsync() : not in sync: resp=0x00 avrdude: stk500_diable() : protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

BUT for me, both the TX and RX indicators lit, and stayed lit as soon as I connected the usb cable to the board.

This was with Arduino version 22 on my kids windows vista machine. I disconnected all of my circuitry (an LED binary counter via a shift register) and tried to upload the Blink Example. No joy.

About that time I noticed that the FTDI chip was painfully hot to the touch. So I disconnected everything, in a panic, and pondered.

Figuring I had fried the board anyway, I decided to try it on my real computer out in the shop, Linux (Lucid) machine with Arduino version 17. The Blink Example uploaded and ran with no problem as did a variety of other sketches.

OK, weird, so I figured what the heck, lets try to see what is screwy with the windows box...and it all worked.

So I reconnected my circuitry after double and triple checking it...and the whole problem returned, so clearly it is a problem with my circuit...something in the circuit is interfering with the com chip and causing it to overheat. Once it gets hot, it quits communicating with the host computer and the serial port (com port 7 on both machines) shuts down and is no longer visible to the OS or the IDE. As soon as it cools down, things work again...though I have probably let a little bit of the magic smoke escape and will now be ordering a "back up" Arduino just in case.

Anyway Mark, check your circuit carefully. I can't figure out what is wrong with mine (based on McRoberts, project 16) but that's a question for a new thread.

Turns out I had a bad component in my circuitry. Since we had the same error messages, I bet you have a similar problem.

Thanks for your help sorry for the delay replying due to working abroad.

Unfortunately my problem proved to be more serious, I somehow managed to kill the 328 chip. Surprisingly, the loopback test on the coms would still work if the reset button was held.

I am trying to work-out what I did, so I can avoid frying another chip. The only thing I noticed when it happened, was an earth lead had fallen off to Pololu MD01B motor driver board but cant imagine that would cause a problem. Maybe I was careless and put the board onto a solder splash.

Thanks again for the help Mark