HELP! Bootloader issues.

My current situation -

Custom PCB designed by me. Using an ATMEGA 2560 without bootloader. 16MHz and two 22pF caps. 10k pullup on Reset. 100nF cap on DTR line.

Trying to use the UNO as the ISP using the code in the example. I put a 10uF cap from GND to reset and tried to bootload the thing.

I get this error when not pressing the reset button before bootloading -

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x15

I get this error when pressing the reset button before bootloading -

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00

Any ideas? I really need to get this thing working sooner rather than later. If anyone has already got their MEGA2560 working let me know!

Any ideas?

Yes. Stop pressing the reset button.

I put a 10uF cap from GND to reset

At what point?

[quote author=Coding Badly link=topic=78933.msg596179#msg596179 date=1321259733]

Any ideas?

Yes. Stop pressing the reset button.

I put a 10uF cap from GND to reset

At what point?

[/quote]

I pressed the reset button and then let it go before I try to bootload. It was suggested somewhere else.

At what point? Where it was also suggested to put one. On the Arduino board.

You did some stuff. You connected the capacitor. You did some stuff.

What did you do before you connected the capacitor? What did you do after you connected the capacitor?

In other words, at what point in the sequence of steps you performed did you connect the capacitor?

[quote author=Coding Badly link=topic=78933.msg596212#msg596212 date=1321262081]

You did some stuff. You connected the capacitor. You did some stuff.

What did you do before you connected the capacitor? What did you do after you connected the capacitor?

In other words, at what point in the sequence of steps you performed did you connect the capacitor?

[/quote]

I have the PCB made and soldered. I loaded the ArduinoISP onto the UNO, put the 10uF cap on the pins. I hooked up MOSI, MISO, SCK, RESET, +5V, GND. Errors.

Are you using the Arduino IDE to burn the bootloader?

Connect an LED to pin 9. When the ArduinoISP sketch is idle, does the LED on pin 9 slowly get brighter then dimmer?

When you try to burn the bootloader, does the LED on pin 9 blink?

[quote author=Coding Badly link=topic=78933.msg596248#msg596248 date=1321265046]

Are you using the Arduino IDE to burn the bootloader?

Connect an LED to pin 9. When the ArduinoISP sketch is idle, does the LED on pin 9 slowly get brighter then dimmer?

When you try to burn the bootloader, does the LED on pin 9 blink?

[/quote]

Arduino IDE as bootloader. Yes it gets brighter and dimmer at idle. Pin 7,8, and 9 all flash when trying to burn the bootloader.

I ordered an AVRISP. Should be here tomorrow.

Pin 7,8, and 9 all flash when trying to burn the bootloader.

The capacitor did not disable auto-reset. Try a 120 ohm resistor from 5V to GND.

I put both the 120 ohm resistor and the cap on and now I get the -

avrdude: Yikes! Invalid device signature.
Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
this check.

When I use just the 120 ohm resistor it gives the same errors as before.

You may have to re-upload the Arduino ISP sketch and then apply the 120 ohm resistor.

[quote author=Coding Badly link=topic=78933.msg597030#msg597030 date=1321331607]

You may have to re-upload the Arduino ISP sketch and then apply the 120 ohm resistor.

[/quote]

Just tried this. Same results.

Same results as in the LED on pin 9 blinks when you try to burn the bootloader?

[quote author=Coding Badly link=topic=78933.msg597048#msg597048 date=1321334281]

Same results as in the LED on pin 9 blinks when you try to burn the bootloader?

[/quote]

It no longer blinks, it just keeps oscillating in and out. And I get this error -

avrdude: Yikes! Invalid device signature. Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override this check.

Also if I try it twice the LED stays solid and then I get this error -

avrdude: stk500_program_enable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x50 avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1 Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override this check.

avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

Then I have to reset the board to get the LED back to oscillating.

It no longer blinks, it just keeps oscillating in and out.

Excellent. That means the Uno is now acting as an ISP.

What is connected to pin 10 on the Uno?

I have Pin 10 from the Uno connected to reset on my Mega2560.

Is the Uno ground (GND) connected to the target ground?

Yeah, its all connected via 6 pins from my target board to the UNO. MISO, MOSI, SCK, RST, +5V, GND. I could put my schematic up.

You are certainly welcome to post the schematic. I suspect you know what they are supposed to be.

When you try to burn the bootloader, which board is selected?

The board that is selected when I try to burn the bootloader is my target board. The MEGA2560.