Help - bootloader troubles using AVRISP MKII to bootload ATmega1284P

Working on the DIY Phone. I'm a real noob. Finding things very challenging. A layperson answer will help me the most.

I keep getting this error:

avrdude: stk500v2_command(): command failed
avrdude: stk500v2_program_enable(): bad AVRISPmkII connection status: Target not detected
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
this check.

Have checked all connections, nothing wrong. Where should I be looking next?

How about telling us what you have connected?
Do you have the mighty1284 core files in place?

Thanks fro the quick response. And, for your patience. I’m a bit out of my league here.

I have built Mellis’ DIY Cellphone http://web.media.mit.edu/~mellis/cellphone/

I’ve made it through these steps:

  • Download and install Arduino 1.0.4 (tested) or 1.0.5 from the Arduino software page.
    Checkout the cellphone’s source code from GitHub, e.g. “git clone https://github.com/damellis/cellphone2.git”.
    Checkout the other repositories used by the cellphone’s software with “git submodule init” and “git submodule update”.
    For the LED matrix variant, checkout the LED matrix branch with “git checkout led-matrix”. (The code for the LCD variant is stored in the default master branch.)
    Run Arduino and, in the preferences dialog, set your sketchbook folder to the cellphone2 directory (that you checked out from github).
    Also in the preferences dialog, enable verbose information on compile and upload. (This will help you debug if anything goes wrong.)
    Restart the Arduino software.
    Select “DIY Cellphone” from the Tools > Board menu.
    Select AVRISP mkII (or whichever programmer you’re using) from the Tools > Programmer menu.
    Plug the LiPo battery into the cellphone.

The last step (below) is troubling me. I am using a AVRISP MKII to connect

Initiate “Burn Bootloader” from the Tools menu (while holding the pins in the ISP header against the corresponding holes in the PCB). This may take a few minutes.have followed these steps[/li][/list]

All connections are good. no solder bridges, etc. board has power. Pin connections are right.

I’ve read about baud rate issues. unsure how to check /correct them as I am really new to this (<48hours on github)

These are some other trouble shooting things I have done

Can't burn the bootloader onto the microcontroller.
Does the microcontroller have power? (Is the battery is plugged in and charged?)
Are the legs of the microcontroller soldered correctly (i.e. is each leg actually soldered to the corresponding pad and are the legs free of shorts / solder bridges)? In particular, check the legs connected to the ISP header, to VCC, and to ground.
Are the pins in the header of the ISP being held firmly against the corresponding holes on the board? You might try soldering pins into the ISP header (on top of the board).
Is the crystal soldered correctly? (If not, the first step of burning the bootloader might succeed but the second one might fail.)

Which driver is Windows using for the MKii - check Device Manager.
If its Jungo, you need to get that changed to LIBUSB, files are in the arduino folder.
I can't tell you step by step how to do that anymore (been too long), a search for Jungo in the forum will bring up discussions on changing it.

With a MAC - I can't help/

yeah, I'm on a mac.

Been thinking of tracking down a PC to make sure the driver is right.

Got a better loupe. Found one tiny strand of solder touching on the ATmega. Feel like a dummy, should have caught that.

Have got bootloader installed and am now stuck, cannot get phone to connect. going to double check the solders in the morning.