Help Burning bootloader to ATMega328p-PU from arduino

Hi I’ve tried burning the boot loader to the ATMega328p-PU for a few days now but I keep getting stuck at the same spot. I keep getting an error "avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding" every time. I’ve double checked the connections and they all are correct.

Thanks in advance for anybody that helps :)

What are you using for a Programmer? Another Arduino? Try Nick Gammon's bootload installer sketch http://www.gammon.com.au/breadboard or http://www.gammon.com.au/forum/?id=11635

Thanks for the tip :) But I have a further question. If I would remove the ATMega328P-PU from my Arduino UNO and replace it with the one without boot loader would I be able to burn it directly using only the Arduino?

SuperSanta:
If I would remove the ATMega328P-PU from my Arduino UNO and replace it with the one without boot loader would I be able to burn it directly using only the Arduino?

Not without a second Arduino.

The bootloading process requires an Arduino to run the ISP program.

…R

There was a topic last year of having the booload code installed in the 16U2, and setting a jumper to have the 16U2 bootload '328P with the addition of 4 jumpers to drive SCK, MOSI, MISO, and Reset.

Hi now I’ve tried both of the above mentioned ways of programming the ATMega328P-PU (http://www.gammon.com.au/forum/?id=11635) with no success. Every way I’ve tried and triple checked every connection made I get the same error. I have removed the ATMega328P-PU chip from the original Arduino UNO and replaced it with the one I’m trying to burn the bootloader on. Also the lights on the Arduino that’s being programmed are lighting up indicating that it gets power.

Atmega chip programmer. Written by Nick Gammon. Version 1.35 Compiled on Nov 19 2015 at 16:44:13 with Arduino IDE 10605. Attempting to enter ICSP programming mode ...................................................... Failed to enter programming mode. Double-check wiring! Type 'C' when ready to continue with another chip ...

I’m using: Arduino UNO (The one being programmed) Arduino UNO (Chinese clone) Arduino UNO Arduino Software v 1.6.5

If anybody would know of any solution id be more than happy. :)

I have had no problem adding the bootloader with this Tutorial with IDE 1.0.6

...R

Hi I just tried the tutorial that you sent and I got the error:

avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

What do I do?

Sorry for being such a noob with burning bootloaders :P and thanks for all the help.

SuperSanta: Hi I just tried the tutorial that you sent and I got the error:

avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

What do I do?

Sorry for being such a noob with burning bootloaders :P and thanks for all the help.

What version of the IDE are you using? I had problems with 1.5.6 but none with 1.0.6 (but that may be my own fault).

Have you selected Tools/Programmer/Arduino as ISP ? (This caught me out a couple of days ago because I didn't re-read the Tutorial carefully)

...R

I’ve selected Arduino as ISP when I’m trying to burn bootloader. I’m also running IDE v 1.6.5. I will try the other version you suggested.

Thanks for all the help :)

So I just finished trying Arduino IDE 1.0.6 and got the following error

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00

I don’t know why I’m getting so many problems with burning bootloaders, I’ve tried all tutorials I can find and none work.

Thanks for all the help

"Not in sync" means it's not connected properly.

I'd like to ask you to take a photo of your setup but it's always impossible to show the routing of every wire in one single photo. Can you draw a schematic? Don't copy-paste the schematic from the tutorials - draw YOUR schematic by following your wiring.

I think it's something simple like not using the correct RESET line.

So I finally received my USB ISP and now I’m wondering how to I burn the bootloader with it? I’m using the "LC-01 USB ISP Programmer for ATMEL AVR ( 51 ATMega ATTiny )"

I’m really a noob with this so all help will be helpful :)

So long story short, vie read these past hours on how to burn a bootloader using the Unsnaps. I also realized that I need to update the firmware on the Unsnaps in order to program the ATMega328p which get me into another error along the very annoying road to victory. The error is in the image I attached.

I’ve put down over 24 hours in these past few weeks with no success and with no plans of giving up ether (it’s for a school project and the teacher hasn’t thought us anything about electronics and we have to build a BLDC)

I’m really great full for any help :slight_smile:

Yes in fact my name is Joey as seen in the image :stuck_out_tongue: (I was too lazy to cut it away and there is always one person to comment about names)

The tutorial I’m following: http://www.nexuscyber.com/boards/topic/1/how-to-use-arduino-uno-upgrade-usbasp-firmware

I FINALLY SOLVED IT!!!!

Thanks for all the help :)

SuperSanta: I FINALLY SOLVED IT!!!!

I'm sure it would be a great help to others if you provide the details of how you did that.

...R