Help choosing Anemometer and Wind Direction sensor

Hello,

I am trying to build a simple weather station, newbie with those sensors and AliExpress isnt helping me much(I am europe based so Ali and Banggood are best options),

I have stopped myself on this for initial testing:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000433744589.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.s_00009.2.45a86b55fUAtlP

My problem is that it doesnt says much about the output, just that its RS485. Is there anything else I should know before I buy ?

For initial tests I am looking for something cheaper before investing more money into it, but those in mentioned websites dont have much info. I have asked few sellers to send me manual or some sort of documentation, but no answers so far :frowning:

Are all RS485 based anemometers providing the data in same format or there are difference and if so how to spot it ?

Thanks in advance.

My problem is that it doesnt says much about the output, just that its RS485. Is there anything else I should know before I buy ?

Yes. You need to know that you cannot connect the RS485 output directly to the TTL input of the Arduino to read the serial data and that you will need an RS485 to TTL converter between the two

Yes that so far I know, but question is the sensor sending me the calculated speed or raw data or how to get it from it(read somewhere i have to send messages over serial before it returns the data) and so on.

is the sensor sending me the calculated speed or raw data or how to get it from it(read somewhere i have to send messages over serial before it returns the data) and so on.

Sorry, but I can be of no help with those details and as the seller has not provided a specification you will be flying blind if you buy the item. One thing that I do note is that the wind direction sensor is huge if the 2.5m dimension is to be believed

Yes that so far I know, but question is the sensor sending me the calculated speed or raw data or how to get it from it(read somewhere i have to send messages over serial before it returns the data) and so on.

Either:
Move on to a different product with more helpful information.
or
Buy it anyway, read the data and make sense of it. You will either have hours of frustration ending in throwing it in the bin, or hours of pleasure learning something new followed by a feeling of great satisfaction and a job well done.

BTW I followed that link and it wanted me to log in. You can't expect people here trying to help you to set up accounts on web sites just to see what products you are looking at.

It is possible that such sensors provide NMEA data. If that is the case then i think it should be easy for you to process.

The LaCrosse TX-23U wind sensor is intended to work with a particular remote transmitter, but the output signal has been decoded.

Works very well with a 3.3V Arduino.

PerryBebbington:
Either:
Move on to a different product with more helpful information.
or
Buy it anyway, read the data and make sense of it. You will either have hours of frustration ending in throwing it in the bin, or hours of pleasure learning something new followed by a feeling of great satisfaction and a job well done.

BTW I followed that link and it wanted me to log in. You can’t expect people here trying to help you to set up accounts on web sites just to see what products you are looking at.

Sorry for the experience, wasnt aware Ali required a profile to look at the products. And what you said makes sense.

UKHeliBob:
Sorry, but I can be of no help with those details and as the seller has not provided a specification you will be flying blind if you buy the item. One thing that I do note is that the wind direction sensor is huge if the 2.5m dimension is to be believed

Size does not bother me at this point as long as it works, this is mostly for prototype to see if the weather station will help my case. (I am a paragliding pilot and want to put a weather station at the take-off sights to ensure we have proper weather conditions before even we go there, simply because its like 30-40 min drive and dont want to be for nothing)

jremington:
The LaCrosse TX-23U wind sensor is intended to work with a particular remote transmitter, but the output signal has been decoded.

Works very well with a 3.3V Arduino.

Thank you will look into that.

In general most of the sensors look like the same, but they are quite different regarding the output and wiring and etc. Its hard to make choice about something by going in there blind like that.

Wanted to ask the community if have any experience before I went all in on something.

Sorry for the experience, wasn't aware Ali required a profile to look at the products

To be fair I was a bit surprised; I'm sure I've looked at stuff on there before. I don't have an account with them and don't intend to get one for now. Requiring people to have an account before looking at stuff will put off potential new customers.