Help choosing sensors for my project

Hello

Im doing a little project and im looking for some advice. I am converting a RC car to an autonomous vehicle and the idea is that it should be able to drive in a small scale track that simulates a traffic situation which i have constructed. I want it to be able to follow the line between each lane, much like the course correction function for autopilot in newer cars. I would also like it to be able to tell the difference between 2 color of lights, simulating a traffic light.

If anyone can recommend some sensors that would allow me to accomplish this or simply tell me if its not possible then i would appreciate it alot.

Line following robots often use QRE1113 optical detectors to detect the line.

However I suspect you are thinking of something that really needs a camera and image recognition and that is far beyond the capability of an Arduino.

...R

Robin2: Line following robots often use QRE1113 optical detectors to detect the line.

However I suspect you are thinking of something that really needs a camera and image recognition and that is far beyond the capability of an Arduino.

...R

How about the Pixy CMUcam5? It is also a camera and works well with Arduino.

cyberjupiter: How about the Pixy CMUcam5? It is also a camera and works well with Arduino.

Looks interesting - I was tempted to try one until I saw the price :)

But I'm not suggesting any alternative vision system would be cheaper.

...R

It is costly and it's not really worth it(at least for me).

Also, I think that is perhaps the closest OP can get to suit his needs. Unless there is really a sensor that can detect more than 1 colour and is cheap.

The CMUcam5 can detect few basic colours but you need to adjust the settings properly to avoid false positive images. With bad settings, it can't even differentiate between orange and red.

In the Arduino Projects Book, there's an experiment in chapter no. 4, color mixing lamp which uses red, green, and blue 'gels' (little colored sheets of plastic) to filter white light onto photoresistors to in turn set the color of an RGB LED. Maybe they'd work for sensing the traffic lights.