Help choosing which brushless motor and ESC I need for a quadcopter.

Hi all,

I am currently building an Arduino quadcopter, and I need help deciding which motor I should use, as well as which ESC (Electronic Speed Control). I have already bought a set of motors and props on amazon, click here for the page, and if anyone could find a matching ESC, preferably (but not required) on amazon, that would be helpful. Also, if you cannot find any matching ESCs, suggesting a new motor set would be perfectly fine, as well as a ESC to match it.

Thanks.

I would have guessed those motors used a 30A ESC from looking at them but this item for sale at Amazon made the 30A figure even more likely.

If you post a link to an ESC you think will work, I'll add my guess to whether or not it looks appropriate for the motor.

I'm no expert with these sorts of motors and ESCs but I've used a bunch of different versions with my quadcopters and hexacopter.

DuaneDegn:
I would have guessed those motors used a 30A ESC from looking at them but this item for sale at Amazon made the 30A figure even more likely.

If you post a link to an ESC you think will work, I'll add my guess to whether or not it looks appropriate for the motor.

I'm no expert with these sorts of motors and ESCs but I've used a bunch of different versions with my quadcopters and hexacopter.

Thanks for your reply. Do you think this ESC would work? It looks like it matches the one in the item you sent me. Also, do you have any Li Po battery suggestions?

Thanks

Astro1212:
Thanks for your reply. Do you think this ESC would work? It looks like it matches the one in the item you sent me. Also, do you have any Li Po battery suggestions?

Thanks

I agree, it does look like the one on the motor/ESC combo page. My guess is it would probably work.

Many ESCs can be programmed with various settings. I don't think this one is programmable.

I generally purchase my quadcopter parts from HobbyKing. Here's a 30A ESC I like. The one you linked to would probably work fine.

Based on your motors, my guess is you'd want somewhere between 3Ah and 5Ah 3S LiPo pack. A 20C rating would probably be enough but this assumes all four motors won't be drawing their max current at the same time(based on my experience, I think this is a safe assumption).

I think one of my quads (and early version of the ELEV-8) uses the same size of motors as the ones you're purchasing. Here's the pack I use. You probably want at least two packs but it might be a good idea to wait and try one pack before purchasing another.

I don't like my ESCs to cut power on me so if the ESC allows you set the battery type to Nixx, I do it. This keeps the ESC from cutting power with a low battery.

IMO (and just about everyone I've talked about this), it's better to use a battery alarm/meter. I like this one. I have a bunch. They pay for themselves very quickly by saving your LiPo packs from damage caused by over discharging the cells.

If I were to purchase a LiPo charger again, I'd get this one. HobbyKing also sells a clone version which is supposed to work okay.

For the most accurate answer this is the wrong forum - you need a multirotor forum where
there is a lot more experience in selecting the right props/motors/ESCs for a specific set of
requirements. The first thing you need is to decide on the total mass (craft+payload), as
noone can answer the question without that basic starting point.

Its rather chicken and egg as choice of motors and batteries affects the total mass of course,
so expect to iterate round the mass-budget calculations a few times.

Thanks for your help, I think I found everything I need. If I encounter any other issues, Ill be sure to ask you.

I'll second what MarkT said.

I gave you my best guesses, but I'm not positive what I told you is correct. (Which is probably why I used the word "guess" so many times.)

I've built and flown several different quadcopters and hexacopters but I certainly don't consider myself an expert. I generally try to copy someone else's working design.