Help connect Piezo pickup with UMCC pigtail to Arduino Uno

I have purchased a piezo pickup with a UMCC pigtail. It is a proprietary design and used with proprietary boards. Should I just solder leads to a smd connector? I am a beginner.

Can you post a picture of it. Do you mean an SMA aerial connector? There are many SMD connectors. Tell us what you want to do. Leo..

Yes sm style connector.

It looks like an U.FL connector, used for WiFi. Are you sure this is a piezo pickup. It doesn't look like any piezo I've seen. Leo..

Agreed, it does look like some sort of hirose miniature, can't say for sure which type though. But as Wawa said, it is likely a U.FL. For prototyping/experimentation purposes this connector is unsuitable as they really aren't made to be disconnected. If size is an issue, you could try something like MMCX. Or you could go with SMA or SMB.

Great forum thanks for the replies. Here is some statements from the pickup designer

Scott- My piezo pickups have been developed to work well with harps, and the reason I say that is because the piezo element is postioned inside the molded resin cube at an angle whereby the string will be compressing the element face-on, not at any angle. This gives the optimum output from the piezo as the string vibrates. If you set up a simple "harp" with one string, this would be a reliable predictable input for your experimenting....

... Each come with a UMCC connector on the end of the lead cable. This keeps the coaxial shielding continuous from the piezo to the connection. My experience is that EMI can be interpreted by the microprocessor as input, and you will get erratic results. Being zealous about shielding and grounding will minimize this frustration.

This pickup is currently used in a midi harp. Www.kortier.com . The piezo with my uno has two leads and this pickup has two as well. The designer is willing to answer questions but I want to be more knowledgeable before I pester him about specs. I want to sample the string frequency has it vibrates. I also don't want to zap my Uno. I will post my questions and answers from the designer. Any thoughts and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I still have questions. Do you use this on a harp, and are you using one piezo per string. It seems rather small, so a small capacitance piezo. Good for high frequencies, but what is the lowest frequency of interest, and at what load resistance can that be picked up. 1Megohm might not be high enough. Have you got the means (oscilloscope) to measure the generated voltage. You might have to use a fet or opamp to preserve the high impedance, and bring the voltage down after that. I gather you want to read the frequency and intensity, and output it to MIDI. Leo..

The designer currently builds midi harps using this pickup. Yes, each string is paired with one pickup. His controller boards were developed to simply register the presence of electrical charge at each input (each string) and to measure the magnitude of the current. Each harp string produces only one pitch. If a current is present the note can be deduced and the magnitude will determine the volume. I am trying to capture the same input for a game controller. I was hoping that the pickup was similar to the Piezo that came with my Uno and that I could connect it and sample it as if they were the same. If I could adapt something for the UMCC connector that would provide a power lead and an analog (out) lead I could code similar to the "knock" example. I think I am over my head but I am determined to learn enough to prototype. I'll call in the big dogs if and when I get a working prototype. Thanx.

sfanjoy:
I am trying to capture the same input for a game controller.

Don’t understand. Please explain.

A “knock” sensor is different from a harp string pickup.
The first one is just a quick and dirty on/off device.
The second one has to work in a lineair region, so the intensity/volume can also be read.
Leo…

Thanks in advance for being patient with my ignorance. I contacted the sensor designer and the sensor will output an analog signal in millivolts (mV) from the center pin of the UMCC, the outer ring of the UMCC is the ground. So this answers my original question of how to connect the sensor. I will not connect the sensor directly. I need to amplify the sensor signal with an Op Amp and that device will connect to my Uno. I off to researching that now. To answer Leo's question, I am prototyping a game controller and one of the inputs/sensors on the controller will be a string. When the string is struct it will provide output that will allow a game to maybe shoot an arrow, launch a rock, etc... I referenced the knock example because it reads a range of values from an analog input. This is the same as the sensor I purchased. Now I am off to learn how to amplify millivolts (mV) as to allow my arduino to read the sensor I purchased. I will post my ultimate solution here as well.

Scott