help: Controlling Door using WIFI + bluetooth... with Arduino YUN

Hi Everyone,
Sorry I may sound idiot but its my first ever hardware project i have never worked with hardware before...

I want To Make A multiple Door Lock Control System, Which Will Communicate through my android app, by sending serialized data, I want It To communicate through wifi and bluetooth ( Once At a time).

QUESTIONS:

My Questions are

1. Is It Possible To Use Arduino Yum and connect Bluetooth to RX AND TX so that it can communicate through WIFI Aswell as bluetooth?

2. Can I Connect Multiple Door lock to Ardunio Yun ?

3. Is Thr Any Better option for this ?

Sorry Again For Stupid Questions But I really need help :slight_smile: Thanks

Haaz123:
::::SNIP::::

QUESTIONS:

My Questions are

1. Is It Possible To Use Arduino Yum and connect Bluetooth to RX AND TX so that it can communicate through WIFI Aswell as bluetooth?

2. Can I Connect Multiple Door lock to Ardunio Yun ?

3. Is Thr Any Better option for this ?

Sorry Again For Stupid Questions But I really need help :slight_smile: Thanks

On #1, yes.
On #2, yes.
On #3, yes.

None are stupid questions.

You might consider using a USB Bluetooth (with low energy option) instead of connecting to the RX/TX.

Others will have suggestions. And give you more details.
Ask more question, if you like.

Jesse

1. why do you use bluetooth and wifi? Almost all devices nowadays (tablets, laptops and cellphones) all capable of wifi, I think bluetooth is not necesary.

Haaz123:

No. The existing Tx/Rx lines (D0 and D1) are hard wired between the '32U4 sketch processor and the AR3391 Linux processor. You cannot also hook them up in parallel to a Bluetooth module (or any other device.) Connecting a second device to those pins will result in neither function working.

You can, however, use the SoftwareSerial library to set up a second simulated serial port using a different set of pins, and use that to talk to the Bluetooth module. Make sure to read the note about the limited set of pins that can be used with a Leonardo - the Yun uses the same processor chip, and therefore has the same limitation.

Or even better, use a USB Bluetooth adapter that is supported by OpenWRT and manage it from the Linux side of the Yun.

1. Can I Connect Multiple Door lock to Ardunio Yun ?

Yes. But you will, of course, need to run wires to each of those locks. You could place a Yun at each lock, and have them talk to each other over the network, but that will get expensive fast.

1. Is Thr Any Better option for this ?

There are lots of ways to do it. Are they better? That depends on your requirements, abilities, and budget. Which way is best is up to you. The best way is the way you are able to get it to work.

jessemonroy650:
On #1, yes.
On #2, yes.
On #3, yes.

None are stupid questions.

You might consider using a USB Bluetooth (with low energy option) instead of connecting to the RX/TX.

Others will have suggestions. And give you more details.
Ask more question, if you like.

Jesse

Thank You For Your Support :slight_smile: and yes ill ask many more questions first let me start the project :smiley:

mart256:
3) why do you use bluetooth and wifi? Almost all devices nowadays (tablets, laptops and cellphones) all capable of wifi, I think bluetooth is not necesary.

Mart Thanks but thaats the challenge, its not about wat market needs because may be after this it will be somewhere in the junk but its wat they want me to learn ( i have to submit it to my university ) …

ShapeShifter:
No. The existing Tx/Rx lines (D0 and D1) are hard wired between the '32U4 sketch processor and the AR3391 Linux processor. You cannot also hook them up in parallel to a Bluetooth module (or any other device.) Connecting a second device to those pins will result in neither function working.

You can, however, use the SoftwareSerial library to set up a second simulated serial port using a different set of pins, and use that to talk to the Bluetooth module. Make sure to read the note about the limited set of pins that can be used with a Leonardo - the Yun uses the same processor chip, and therefore has the same limitation.

Or even better, use a USB Bluetooth adapter that is supported by OpenWRT and manage it from the Linux side of the Yun.

Yes. But you will, of course, need to run wires to each of those locks. You could place a Yun at each lock, and have them talk to each other over the network, but that will get expensive fast.

There are lots of ways to do it. Are they better? That depends on your requirements, abilities, and budget. Which way is best is up to you. The best way is the way you are able to get it to work.

ShapeShifter Thanks For The Detailed Answer…

Question:

if thr are betr ways to do it !! i dnt need speed i dnt need Quality i jus need to run it for max 50 times so should i start from arduino uno with WIFI shield ??

Bluetooth has a bad reputation when it comes to security. Many vulnerabilities have been found over the years in the technology, and many successful attacks have been demonstrated against it.

Use Bluetooth for Multiple Door lock is No-No.

sonnyyu:
Bluetooth has a bad reputation when it comes to security. Many vulnerabilities have been found over the years in the technology, and many successful attacks have been demonstrated against it.

Use Bluetooth for Multiple Door lock is No-No.

But I have No other option i have to connect thm !! can anyone help me with this project please ??

Haaz123:
2) Can I Connect Multiple Door lock to Ardunio Yun ?

Url of Multiple Door lock?

But I have No other option i have to connect thm !! can anyone help me with this project please ??

Use WiFi between Android and Yun.

does anyone know or got a tutorial related Connecting Arduino Uno with Wifi and Bluetooth Devices for serialized communication???