Help converting GFX font to C#

Hi,
I am very aware that this question hardly belongs in Arduino, but…

I want to use GFX fonts in Unity.

I have created a Unity project, where I use a cube of LEDs on which I show running text. I have created a simple character generator by hand, which was a terrible job. So I was thinking of using ready-made fonts instead and my thoughts went to GFX fonts since I was using them in Arduino. Now you will tell me, that GFX fonts are useless if you do not have corresponding GFX library in C#. But extracting bitmaps out of the GFX structure is an intuitively easy job if you only can compile the font in C#.

When you look at the GFX font, it is basically a C-code describing arrays of bitmaps and glyphs and a simple structure of pointers. The huge part is the glyph data and bitmap data, that does not need to convert at all. There are just a few language-specific things.

That should be easy to convert to C#. But I am not so experienced, therefore I ask for little help.

And remember! - there is an open source fonconvert.c utility for creating GFX fonts out of Truetype fonts. So once I know how to code the corresponding structures, I can simply fix the fontconvert.c and recompile, which makes the conversion to C# automatic.

First I need to create corresponding types to the typedef from the GFX-library

typedef struct {
 uint16_t bitmapOffset;     ///< Pointer into GFXfont->bitmap
 uint8_t  width;            ///< Bitmap dimensions in pixels
    uint8_t  height;           ///< Bitmap dimensions in pixels
 uint8_t  xAdvance;         ///< Distance to advance cursor (x axis)
 int8_t   xOffset;          ///< X dist from cursor pos to UL corner
    int8_t   yOffset;          ///< Y dist from cursor pos to UL corner
} GFXglyph;

/// Data stored for FONT AS A WHOLE
typedef struct { 
 uint8_t  *bitmap;      ///< Glyph bitmaps, concatenated
 GFXglyph *glyph;       ///< Glyph array
 uint16_t  first;       ///< first char (code point) of the Font
 uint16_t  last;        ///< last char (code point) of the first part of the Font
 uint8_t   yAdvance;    ///< Newline distance (y axis)
} GFXfont;

that I can use in the font definition itself.

So, what else we have to convert to C# is:

const uint8_t FreeMono9pt7bBitmaps[] PROGMEM = {
  0xAA, 0xA8, 0x0C, 0xED, 0x24, 0x92, 0x48, 0x24, 0x48, 0x91, 0x2F, 0xE4,
  0x89, 0x7F, 0x28, 0x51, 0x22, 0x40, 0x08, 0x3E, 0x62, 0x40, 0x30, 0x0E,
  0x01, 0x81, 0xC3, 0xBE, 0x08, 0x08, 0x71, 0x12, 0x23, 0x80, 0x23, 0xB8,
  }

const GFXglyph FreeMono9pt7bGlyphs[] PROGMEM = {
  {     0,   0,   0,  11,    0,    1 },   // 0x20 ' '
  {     0,   2,  11,  11,    4,  -10 },   // 0x21 '!'
  {     3,   6,   5,  11,    2,  -10 },   // 0x22 '"'
                                             }
  }

const GFXfont FreeMono9pt7b PROGMEM = {
  (uint8_t  *)FreeMono9pt7bBitmaps,
  (GFXglyph *)FreeMono9pt7bGlyphs,
  0x20, 0x7E, 18 };

The PROGMEM is of course not relevant here, is it?

The question is, if there are corresponding types for uint8_t and uint16_t in C#. But that is not critical since I can always use int, meaning int32_t

I would really appreciate anyone’s help. Please, be as specific as possible and “translate” the above code so that I can just complete it with the skipped parts of data and compile since I know that making conclusions and improvising in C# is a dangerous business.

Thank you so much.

What is this talk of C#? The Arduino programming environment is C++.

aarg: What is this talk of C#? The Arduino programming environment is C++.

Please, read more than the topic.

Inside the message, I explain why C#

I am a big Arduino fan, but there are other languages out there :-)

I will really appreciate if someone in this C++ community with C# knowledge could help me.

The question is, if there are corresponding types for uint8_t and uint16_t in C#. But that is not critical since I can always use int, meaning int32_t

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/csharp/language-reference/builtin-types/integral-numeric-types

If you want to manipulate raw pointers in Unity, make your section of code as unsafe. Make sure to enable it in the Project Settings also.