Help for a noob

So I have an idea for a project involving my Suv. I have really no experience with arduino, but do have a fairly decent understanding to electronics. With that said what I would like to do is make 10 leds in a circular pattern turn on when my brake pedal is applied. This is simple enough for me. But I would like to see if it's possible to make it flash a very quick random pattern .eg. a spiral pattern, or an x pattern... and so on. I would like it to only play the pattern once, and it would be nice if I could make it play once and then have a "cool down" so if I'm in traffic it's not super irritating to other drivers. Obviously any help would be great. But I realize time is money. So if there is a tutorial of the general idea I'm not afraid to learn it out as well.

So if there is a tutorial of the general idea I'm not afraid to learn it out as well.

Adafruit sells NeoPixel rings, with fancy sketches to drive them. Surely, one of the effects will do something like what you want.

Edit: Can't spell NeoPixel with frozen fingers.

Hi noob,

:smiley: joking

1st measure the diameter of your wheel, look a safe spot to put you led's ring we don't need any
damage or car accidents because of that.

2nd YOu will need to make a ring for you leds to solder them with the resistors, the leds need to be
obviously in matrix mode so you can program them with a single chip of more if you want to put a
lot of leds.

3rd Some stuff you need to learn, How to chose the leds I need, what resistor should I put, How to make a led array matrix with arduino, how to solder, how to make a PCB (not really necessary if you will put them and solder them on your rings of plastic, thin wood, not sure what you will use)

Yes NeoPixel is good but with the price of a single NeoPixel you can build yourself 4 of them.

D.60

Yes NeoPixel is good but with the price of a single NeoPixel you can build yourself 4 of them.

I was just pointing out that they have example software.

Ow ok

anyway it's not really hard to make your own matrix code. It's better to make it yourself and
understand it than using others code and getting confused :smiley:

just my opinion

D.60

Both of you have helped! Thanks. I have an idea of what needs to happen, my question is, this is a basic version of what I want to do.

I'm confused as to how to make lets say an 8x8 matrix work with just a few lights. In my mind I think I need to build the code of some of the patterns that I want, and just solder the lights I have to those specific pins on the array. Am I correct in that or no? If that's the case then I am very limited in my patterns. They couldn't really be random at that point. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.