Help for Primary School Students in New Zealand..

Hi Everyone

Just needed a quick bit of hardware advice. We're working on a project with the Department of Conservation in New Zealand here to produce sound lures for pests. We are looking at producing a stand alone box (that our students are 3D Printing/Laser Cutting) that will emit sound to encourage predators. I've found the Arduino Compatible chips online on AliExpress which are the basic greeting card sound producing ones (about one watt or half a watt), but also spent a lot of time looking around for other examples.

I know that we can control the sound, time that the device switches on and off with an Ardunio but thinking about if anyone could suggest a larger controller that would maybe work with 3 Watt speakers? Anyone have any suggestions that I could look up?

Use a big enough audio amplifier and you can go to any volume you want.

If playing MP3 you can use the DF Player Mini which has a 3W amplifier built in.

You want to encourage predators?
I use an Arduino Uno with the Adafruit Audio shield. I don't know the power rating (it uses a TL072P Op-Amp for the audio output stage), but it drives a 4" speaker I had lying around. The sound quality is surprisingly good.

wvmarle:
Use a big enough audio amplifier and you can go to any volume you want.

If playing MP3 you can use the DF Player Mini which has a 3W amplifier built in.

Thanks so much for that - I will check it out, track it down and have a look. Really appreciate it.

SteveMann:
You want to encourage predators?
I use an Arduino Uno with the Adafruit Audio shield. I don't know the power rating (it uses a TL072P Op-Amp for the audio output stage), but it drives a 4" speaker I had lying around. The sound quality is surprisingly good.

We want to encourage the predators (lure is a better term) to bring them in close proximity to traditional traps (sounds more effective than traditional bait). In New Zealand prior to European arrival there were no mammals, so Stoats, Ferrets and Weasels were introduced (as well as Brust Tailed Possums) for various reasons and these animals are major pests which have eliminated most of our native birds (ie Kiwi) from most areas of NZ. Our class of ten and eleven year olds are creating sound lures to go out with the tradional mechanical traps to make them more effective and Ardunio is the perfect technology to work hand in hand with it. Thanks for your advice, really appreciate it.

Please keep in mind, that it doe snot make sense to play e.g. the sound of a feasting mouse with 100W. It needs to mimic a real bait, otherwise the predator will back off (these are not stupid - if they were, the'd be bait)

NZWaikato:
Stoats, Ferrets and Weasels were introduced (as well as Brust Tailed Possums) for various reasons and these animals are major pests

I doesn't seem fair to punish the poor stoats, ferrets etc. for something stupid that humans did - where are you going to let them live after they have been captured.

...R

zwieblum:
Please keep in mind, that it doe snot make sense to play e.g. the sound of a feasting mouse with 100W. It needs to mimic a real bait, otherwise the predator will back off (these are not stupid - if they were, the'd be bait)

Zwieblum: I love the visual of that (a 100w mouse), but no it does not and its not something that we are intending to do! We have been working with the NZ Governments Department of Conservation, the Kiwi is a noctural bird, whose call at night can be heard from some distance away, so we are looking for Arduino technology to control the sound lure, have it run in the evenings and switch off during the day. One of the problems with trying to remove these animals is that they are extremely clever (Possums not so much) and traditional trapping requires considerable input to make an area safe (either a massive fence or a ring of stoat traps that are constantly patrolled). When we started the project we wanted some way for the students to be able to use technology to assist it, hence the sound lures and hence looking at arduino for the technology.

Robin2:
I doesn't seem fair to punish the poor stoats, ferrets etc. for something stupid that humans did - where are you going to let them live after they have been captured.

...R

Thank you for your comment - I can't really answer this without being honest but these introduced animals have nearly wiped out the native birds in New Zealand (and have in areas where they are unchecked). With Possums theres rough estimates of 60 million in New Zealand and they breed and destroy forests. As for the Mustlelid, a Stoat will kill an entire Kiwi Den if it gets the chance and leave nothing alive (also do the same in a chicken coop). They were introduced in the 1800s when people didn't know better and it would never happen today. There is no live capture for these animals, but if we don't stop them then we would lose all of our native birds, as we have on the mainland (we have islands off New Zealand that are predator free and in these cases these are the only places where you can find some species).

If I understand your comments, you are going to play a Kiwi sound to lure in the predator. Will that not attract other Kiwi?

Paul

Paul

Due to the predators that are in New Zealand, the introduced ones, there are very few areas where there are Kiwi. Essentially they have been wiped out from the mainland and are surviving in proctected areas. We have none anywhere near our area except for a specific reserve which has a two metre high fence around it and is some distance away. The traps are also baited to target Mustelid with eggs which Kiwi do not go for and the trap structure, which is essentially a tunnel isn’t accessible except to pests. The use of ardunio would be to control the sound lure and have it going off at particular times with specific sounds to bring the predators closer to a conventional trap. Thank you for your question.

NZWaikato:
Paul

Due to the predators that are in New Zealand, the introduced ones, there are very few areas where there are Kiwi. Essentially they have been wiped out from the mainland and are surviving in proctected areas. We have none anywhere near our area except for a specific reserve which has a two metre high fence around it and is some distance away. The traps are also baited to target Mustelid with eggs which Kiwi do not go for and the trap structure, which is essentially a tunnel isn’t accessible except to pests. The use of ardunio would be to control the sound lure and have it going off at particular times with specific sounds to bring the predators closer to a conventional trap. Thank you for your question.

Thank you, I understand.\

May I suggest you consider the ability of your predator to smell? Your use of any kind of plastic in the enclosure will immediately alert the predator to human presence in the area.

Paul

NZWaikato:
Zwieblum: One of the problems with trying to remove these animals is that they are extremely clever (Possums not so much) ...

In the southern U.S. states, "dumb as a possum" is a low insult.

Robin2:

...R

Return them to England?

SteveMann:
Return them to England?

You get one karma from me for that, for a start! :sunglasses: