Help for servo burning out

Hi!

I made a sound installation with 12 servos linked to the adafruit 16-channel 12-bit pwm/servo driver . Each servo hit a sound object regularly. I have a 5v 10a max power supply powering the shield.

The problem is that after 2 hour of movement of the servos, 3 of them are broken. The servos ask 5v / 6v 900 mA.

I don't get why the servos are burning. Am I missing something?

Thanks a lot,
Florent

Maybe you need more powerful (heavy duty) servos?

Servos only have a limited range of movement, say 0 to 180 degrees. Are you commanding them to go right up against the stops, where they could draw excess current?

Or send then further they can go because of it hitting the instrument? Then it WILL draw excessive current.

Hobby servos are not rated for continuous stall, which is what happens if you block
their movement. A small plastic enclosure cannot dissipate 5W or so for long...

Hi,
I think making the servos hit something, is the clue here.
As has been pointed out you are stalling the servo with each "hit", a lot off current is used used in this situation, hence heat is produced to the point of overload.

1. If you are moving the servos to the same position each time you "hit", then a solenoid may be better.

2. Or basically you need a "striker", use the servo to set and trigger a spring loaded hammer.

http://www.jameco.com/Jameco/workshop/MyStory/crashspace.html

Tom.... :slight_smile:

I used a servo connected to a spiral document binder spine and then put a mouse ball in the spiral to hit things. So basically when something was struck there was an instant recoil and while the servo took more current due to this force it did not stall.

Thanks a lot for the answers. The stuck part could be an idea, it could be the problem! I’ll try to reduce this problem by making them just hit slightly the sound objects. Best!
Florent

i have mg996r servo motor before some time it's work with servo example but now this is not work and give only spike output and not move pleas help me to solve out it

sapankotak:
i have mg996r servo motor before some time it's work with servo example but now this is not work and give only spike output and not move pleas help me to solve out it

Read the how to use this forum sticky post, it will tell you not to hijack threads and to start your own.

idioma:
Thanks a lot for the answers. The stuck part could be an idea, it could be the problem! I'll try to reduce this problem by making them just hit slightly the sound objects. Best!
Florent

That's not really going to fix the issue - use a mass on a spring so the servo doesn't hit the endstop
at all, or use a solenoid. Trying to just hit will probably be unreliable and will still cause high current pulses,
and probably failures after rather longer.

Hobby servos are not precision devices.