Help getting started with XBee

Hello - I'm wondering if anyone can help - I'm likely doing something daft.

I'm trying to get an XBee module (connected via USB cable to a mac) talking to an XBee on arduino. I'm following the steps on the Getting Started page:

http://arduino.cc/en/Guide/ArduinoXbeeShield

I can download the Physical Pixel sketch to the board, and establish that it is working - can turn on and off the LED via the Serial Monitor when connected by the serial cable (used to download the sketch).

The next step is to remove the cable, and try to send the 'H' and 'L' characters via the XBee module connected via serial - this does not work - I know that I am connected to the correct serial port (ie. the XBee). I'm using ZTerm to send to the serial port, but this does not work.

When connected to ZTerm, I can send the +++ characters and inquire about settings, etc, but I cannot get the H and L characters to be 'seen' by theXBee on the Arduino.

Can anyone help out? I am stumped.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated - I feel so close, but it ain't workin'.

Thanks.

Cheers,

Brian Parkinson

Which XBees do you have - the Series 1 or the Series 2 (or 2.5)?

What configuration have you one on the XBees?

Hi

I’m using Series 2 Zigbee modules (both the same). Digi XBee series 2 is what it says on the modules.

They are run with default configurations - my assumption (?) is that I don’t have to set them up in any special way.

Here are some values from one of the modules (I checked - they are both the same):

+++OK
ATID
ATDH
ATCH
ATSH
13A200
ATSL
403301F2
ATMY
FFFE
ATDH
ATDL
FFFE
ATBD

Thanks in advanx.

Brian…

I think that the Series 2's are set up, by default, as coordinators. You need to change the configuration of one of them to be an end device.

On the series 1's, the DL address is what the XBee sends data to. One XBee in the network has to have that value as it's MY address.

If you have two XBees, the value of MY on one needs to match the value of DL on the other.

I never was successful at getting two Series 2 radios to talk to each other. I could get one to send, and the other to receive what the first one send, but it could not get a message back to the first one.

Thanks - I'll try that.

But I'm concerned about your experience and not getting Series 2 radios to talk both ways - I need that in my proposed design.

Help from anyone out there greatly appreciated!

Brian...