[HELP] How to use an LED if pins are taken up by a shield??

I am using the cheaper Ethernet Shield and I want an LED to notify me when a client connects, but I dont know how to connect an LED when all the pins are covered up by the shield how do I connect an LED??

the ethernet shield only uses 4 pins IIRC - check shieldlist.org - for details so there are plenty of pins free to use. (most pins are just pass through)

Solder wires from the shield's unused pins. They stick out of the top.

Or insert a feed through shield, a prototyping one between the arduino and the ethernet.

I must not understand, because it is plugged in to all of them I just am getting started with arduino but there is NO in depth help with showing how they are connected :frowning: :confused:

Is there not a schematic and layout?
Is it the official arduino one?

I got it from Seeedstudio, and no, no layout.

I just am no thinking right because a Shield goes on top of the board in turn covering up everything?

Also this Ethernet Shield, has no sockets on top to plug in anything is that why??

NVM I GOT IT.

Mine is the cheap one so it doesnt have the sockets on top to plug in more components so ya sux :confused:

jackendra:
NVM I GOT IT.

Mine is the cheap one so it doesnt have the sockets on top to plug in more components so ya sux :confused:

So what was wrong with my suggestions?

Nothing at all, I just wasn’t thinking.

Thanks @Above

Shows the importance of specifying the actual Ethernet shield you have instead of just assuming people understand what shield you are talking about (I'm still not sure).

If i wanted you to know I'd say :wink:

Use your brain.

jackendra:

Use your brain.

Another forum meltdown. 8)

jackendra:

Use your brain.

No if you wanted an answer you would have been open and honest. You get what you give.

Possible solution: - ScrewShield for Arduino « WingShield Industries - OR - Proto-Screwshield (Wingshield) R3 Kit for Arduino : ID 196 : $14.95 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits -