Help Identify the driver of this display.

|500x281 |500x281

Good day everyone. I'm looking to try and experiment with this display, draw gui, text and everything but I can't seem to identify the display driver for this display. Would anyone know what it is?

Appreciate the help.

The (8347) implies that it is a Himax HX8347-D or similar The 5 resistor-packs imply that it is 8080-8 parallel data bus. The shield TFT wiring is write-only

Install MCUFRIEND_kbv.

Edit utility/mcufriend_shield.h: #define USE_SPECIAL Edit utility/mcufriend_special.h: #define USE_MEGA_8BIT_SHIELD Edit MCUFRIEND_kbv.cpp: #define SUPPORT_8347D

Since the Shield is write-only, you have to force the ID e.g.

ID = tft.readID(); //
    if (ID == 0xD3D3) ID = 0x4747;  // write-only shield
    tft.begin(ID);

I am not aware of any other library that supports HX8347 with 8080-8 interface on a Mega2560 So you would have to follow the complex procedure outlined above.

Hey-ho. It might be a different controller. Write-only displays are a lottery.

David.

david_prentice: The (8347) implies that it is a Himax HX8347-D or similar The 5 resistor-packs imply that it is 8080-8 parallel data bus. The shield TFT wiring is write-only

Install MCUFRIEND_kbv.

Edit utility/mcufriend_shield.h: #define USE_SPECIAL Edit utility/mcufriend_special.h: #define USE_MEGA_8BIT_SHIELD Edit MCUFRIEND_kbv.cpp: #define SUPPORT_8347D

Since the Shield is write-only, you have to force the ID e.g.

ID = tft.readID(); //
    if (ID == 0xD3D3) ID = 0x4747;  // write-only shield
    tft.begin(ID);

I am not aware of any other library that supports HX8347 with 8080-8 interface on a Mega2560 So you would have to follow the complex procedure outlined above.

Hey-ho. It might be a different controller. Write-only displays are a lottery.

David.

Hey, Just wanted to thank you for the input and help. I got it running even on an arduino DUE. Only thing is that the text is vertically flipped (sentences and letters reversed). This is amazing tho. It's been laying around doing nothing until now. Thank you.

No problem. Run the graphictest_kbv example (remember to force the ID to 0x4747) Then try it with ID=0x7575. You might have a HX8347-G

Take notes on paper. e.g. Penguin screens.

PORTRAIT should have ribbon (and header pins) at the bottom of the screen. Note whether vertical mirror or horizontal mirror. Note the colours.

Report back. The mirror is solved with one line. (but only when I get an accurate report)

David.

david_prentice: No problem. Run the graphictest_kbv example (remember to force the ID to 0x4747) Then try it with ID=0x7575. You might have a HX8347-G

Take notes on paper. e.g. Penguin screens.

PORTRAIT should have ribbon (and header pins) at the bottom of the screen. Note whether vertical mirror or horizontal mirror. Note the colours.

Report back. The mirror is solved with one line. (but only when I get an accurate report)

David.

ID of 7575 is the solution. Everything is displayed correctly. Thank you sir. I can now get this up and running.

So this particular shield actually uses ALL of the pins from 22 to 23, plus 0-7 to drive the lcd? This would be a cost of a parallel display?

It does not use all of the header pins that you see. However, you can't access the unused Mega2560 female holes when they are occupied by male pins.

The Mega has plenty of empty female headers. Use some angle-header strip. Then you can connect Duponts.

David.

david_prentice:
It does not use all of the header pins that you see.
However, you can't access the unused Mega2560 female holes when they are occupied by male pins.

The Mega has plenty of empty female headers. Use some angle-header strip. Then you can connect Duponts.

David.

Is it known which pins re not connected? I can vaguely see some traces going into the pins but nothing more than that. There are some more pins I could work with but for the sake of knowing what's still available and what's not would be great for prototyping.

EDIT:
Although, looking up the mega lcd shield on Ali brings up this little view so perhaps I can extrapolate what is not needed this way.

lcd.PNG

It looks like I'm really only gaining 7 pins that are NC. Well that's at least something. I guess going with one of those UART Nextion displays would save my a whole lot more pins. But probably at a cost of refresh speed.

lcd.PNG

It uses 2-7, 22-29, 38-41, 50-53.

But you can't get at 30-37 or 42-49 because you have impotent male pins occupying the female holes.

If you are obsessive, you can always remove the unused male pins with a Dremel.

David.

david_prentice: It uses 2-7, 22-29, 38-41, 50-53.

But you can't get at 30-37 or 42-49 because you have impotent male pins occupying the female holes.

If you are obsessive, you can always remove the unused male pins with a Dremel.

David.

Oh nothing that diy. I've got a few thin wire clippers or if anything why not just desolder those pins and be done with it. I'm no stranger to soldering stuff directly to the controller.

Only thing that's left is figure out which damn pin the sd card is connected to. This particular module says that it is a Mega2560 and I'm using it on the Due. I think that maybe there the pin arrangement for the mega might be a tad different? Mainly the SD card connection to the SPI pin.

Oh and also I've found the store page: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32455588731.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dVROFzm

As a matter of fact, yeah. SPI on a mega is on pin 53 while on a DUE it's on pin 4. Bummer, gonna need an external SPI sd card or figure out the pinout on this one. Might be able to look at the pinout of a mega and make out which pins are meant for the sd card and rewire them to thie shied.

Or I could also stop being a bitch and just but myself an arduino mega, and be done with it. :D

Thank you for the help btw, again. Glad to you contributed your time to this.

The TFT and Touch will work 100% on Due or Mega. Use URTouch library from RinkyDink. The SD will only work with Software SPI on the Due. Use SdFat from IDE Library Manager.

The Shield mates with Due or Mega as Nature intended. It is unwise (tm) to hack a fully operational Shield.

There are plenty of spare header sockets that you can access.

David.

evensa: Whether the communication agreement between them is consistent.

Yeah that was actually my main concern with software serial and software spi is reliability. I rather buy a different display and with a more modern pin-out and mod/ desolder/ rewire the sd card pins to a the actual spi interface on the due.

It is unwise (tm) to hack a fully operational Shield.

I wouldn't really say that it's fully operational since it doesn't even link up to the correct Card Select Pin SPI pin on a due but it being intended for a mega instead of a due. Interestingly enough, I'm not finding any Due specific lcd displays. I AM finding a whole lot of these new Uno compatible displays. I've not seen these or they were too expensive for me back when I go this display discussed in this thread.

I think that would work out quite a bit better. But this display here was kind of sitting around and I wanted to put it to good use.

Oops. I have an even bigger apology. Looking at the photo in #0, it says (8347i) So I should have suggested HX8347-I which has ID=0x9595 in post #1

Anyway, TFT and Touch work 100%. SD works with Software SPI.

A Due can operate SD plenty fast enough with Software SPI. At least as fast as a Mega2560 can do Hardware SPI.

No, you can't mount a 3x2 male header on the bottom of the Shield (easily)

As far as I know, there is no Due Display Shields. There are plenty of Mega2560 Display Shields which will work on the Due with the same issue of SPI pins.

There are 40-pin Display modules which can use a a 40-pin Adapter Shield. 40-pin Adapter Shields are available for Due and Mega. These work fine electrically but are not as mechanically robust as your Shield in #0.

I have made Adapter Shields from a Protoshield. e.g. to re-route data bus and SD for a Due.

It is a lot easier to just buy the correct Display Shield in the first place.

David.

p.s. it took you 7.5 months to respond to an (almost) accurate reply posted in 19 minutes.

david_prentice:
p.s. it took you 7.5 months to respond to an (almost) accurate reply posted in 19 minutes.

Sometimes life just gets in the way. At least we got it sorted.

As a bonus, to anyone who was unfortunate enough to buy this display. here's what I did to get the onboard SD card working.Basically according to many due posts, you have to connect the sd card pins directly had to SPI header where MOSI, MISO and SCK pins are located. The last pin, which is Card Select (CS) goes to whatever pin you want as it will get defined in the library:

IMG_20191115_144244.jpg
IMG_20191115_144258.jpg

lcd.PNG

everything aside from the touch screen is set up/ IO'm actually debating on whether or not to even include the touch screen in this little project. But hey, I got this far. This lcd has been laying in my bin for months. I'm glad to finally use it and I hope anyone who's unlucky enough to buy this from the literally only single seller on Ali who does, hoe this works out for them as well.

I have desoldered ALL NC pins and ALL pins pertaining to the SPI SD card (4 pins above the ground) and simply rewired them to the SPI. This thing is up and running and I have a bunch of pins cleared for other purposes.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B46IPDVH4cV/

IMG_20191115_144244.jpg

IMG_20191115_144258.jpg

This Mega2560 display shield has been available for many years. First with HX8357B then HX8357C, ILI9481, ILI9486, …

For an equal number of years, people have used this shield with a Due. Just driving the SD with software SPI. (which gives similar performance to a Mega with HW SPI)

Yes, the Due will run the TFT faster with different Port pins for the 16-bit data bus.
Yes, the Due will run the SD better with the Hardware SPI pins.

If you want to get best performance from a TFT with Due.
Buy a SPI Shield that mates with the 3x2 SPI header on any Arduino.
Or buy a 40-pin display with a 40-pin Due Adapter shield e.g. from CTE.

Of course you can hack a ready-made shield but your “solution” has destroyed your Due for any future use.

David.

david_prentice: This Mega2560 display shield has been available for many years. First with HX8357B then HX8357C, ILI9481, ILI9486, ...

For an equal number of years, people have used this shield with a Due. Just driving the SD with software SPI. (which gives similar performance to a Mega with HW SPI)

Yes, the Due will run the TFT faster with different Port pins for the 16-bit data bus. Yes, the Due will run the SD better with the Hardware SPI pins.

If you want to get best performance from a TFT with Due. Buy a SPI Shield that mates with the 3x2 SPI header on any Arduino. Or buy a 40-pin display with a 40-pin Due Adapter shield e.g. from CTE.

Of course you can hack a ready-made shield but your "solution" has destroyed your Due for any future use.

David.

To be honest, if it gets me working on this thing (after 7 months) faster then I absolutely don't mind sodomizing the board, it's a $8 shied, I'll get another one, more modern one tool so it's not a big deal. Also I've used pin headers for the gpio female headers so aside from the spi, haven't really ruined the MCU. And even then... $9 for a due, I think I can eat that cost in the name of this project.

On a final note, I do wish to thank you for all the help you've provided. You've been of absolute invaluable help. Stellar community!