Help identifying special keypad!

Not sure if this is the correct subforum for this, but it seems the best fit. I’m looking for the specific type, or a product link, or just any information about a special LED keypad I saw recently. Description:

  1. Completely clear acrylic or resin key caps
  2. Caps about 3/4 in^2 surface size
  3. Hollow caps, with no material directly underneath them (meaning you could set the keypad on a picture and still see parts of the picture through the keys)
  4. The contact pads for the keys were around the edges of the keys, which allowed them to be completely transparent
  5. Arranged in a 4x8 grid with 1/4 in spacing between keys

I originally spotted it in a maker fair and recently wanted to use one in a new project.

Has anyone seen anything like this, or know what this style is called? I’ve looked through around 100 pages on Mouser and Digikey and have not seen anything like it. Any information, or website for UI devices like that would be helpful.


since you saw it at a maker fair is it possible that it is a custom keypad?

Hi, I agree with @crockett.

Did you take a picture of it?


Yes, in hindsight I believe it was a custom job. I am more thinking to build something like it, but I can't seem to find parts anywhere. The keys themselves wouldn't be too hard to manufacture, but it would be quite difficult to make a custom contact membrane... Think I would need access to industrial equipment to put something like that together.

I did not take pictures, and I'm kicking myself for it now. It was a whirlwind of a day and there are quite a few things I wish I'd taken down more info on.