Help Identifying the output behavior of an IR sensor

Hello,

First, i hope i'm posting this in the right forum. If not, Please let me know where to move it to.

I'm trying to replace a sensor that is prone to malfunction quite easily and give false positive/false negative. The way i'm doing it is connect the sensor to an arduino along with a load cell to figure out if indeed the IR made false/negative false/positive. So there will be 2 point of failure instead of one.
The way i'm planning to do so is to connect the output of the IR sensor to a voltage divider so it will be able to trigger the arduino interrupt.

The IR sensor is not a single chip but rather a pcb with many IR sensors which detech if something crossed them. eventually it will output 12V.

here's a link to a similar sensor:

My problem is as follows:

1. The IR sensor operates at 12V. During idle he outputs 0V and around 20mA. While he is on, he output 12V with 0mA.
    Another issue is that i don't have the schematics of the circuit it goes into, so i can't try to understand the works behind it. I'm trying to understand the PCB itself but it is also quite hard.
    The problem is, i have never met such a behavior so i can't understand how to imitate the sensor output behavior.

2. Once i connect to output of the sensor to the voltage divider the voltage drops to ~1V... that seems strange to me. i thought to connect the sensor output to an N-MOSFET in order to make the connection to the arduino.

Does this behavior sounds familiar? Can you please point me to a direction of operation?
I would love to hear your ideas and suggestions on how to imitate the sensor output behavior.

Thanks a lot.

You will need to find some sort of product description, user manual or data sheet.

This:

During idle he outputs 0V and around 20mA. While he is on, he output 12V with 0mA

does not make any sense, and even violates some basic laws of physics.